Is it realistic to expect a mpg increase with M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my car I hopped between 5w-30 M1 and 5w-30 Castrol GTX and noticed an improvement in gas mileage. I drive the same pretty much every tank, and I got +1 or +2 miles to the gallon, which is quite significant.

However, now that I've done the ARx treatment it seems that I'm now getting +1 or +2 but I'm using Castrol GTX. ARx seems to work beautifully.

I got a slight increase in MPG's by going when switching to a dino(Supertech)over M1 5W30.We are talking slight here but noticable.

I just went to the Mobil 1 site and read the info on synthetic oils. While they talk about improved engine effeciencies due to oil thickening I could find no claims as to improved MPG using Mobil 1.

Some people claim they get a little better MPG when they change oils but I suspect it is more a matter of driving habits than oil performance.

There is a guy on the board now claiming a 30% improvement in MPG by changing to Mobil 1 - don't think so!

To be completely honest, if you're coming from an oil with roughly the same viscosity as the Mobil 1 you're switching to, you'll be very lucky to see a 1% improvement in gas mileage after the switch. Most people probably won't even see that much, and if they do, it's likely other factors causing it.

Miles per gallon fluxuates some from one tank full to the next. It would be hard to tell. If you keep records for the previous year, and then average the miles per gallon on the older oil you were using and then compare it to one year with Mobil 1 you would get some idea, if your driving habits remained the same for both those years.
Personnally, I have never noticed any change in my miles per gallon by going to synthetics. I use them for the longivity and the cleaniness they provide for the engine. Not sure it is cost effective to use synthetics. but, what the H---, you can't take it with you.

My turbodiesel Navara was shipped with 10W-30 dino.
2000km on that averaged 10.95km/l

Then I switched to a dino 15W-40 (15.8 cst) and it averaged 10.25km/l until the 10,000km service.

Then filled it with M1 0W-40, and it has averaged 10.78 km/l for the last 8,300km.

So the M1 was about 5% better than the dino.

I agree with Patman. And its difficult to impossible to have good enough controls in normal driving to see any difference. Just too many variables. I never noticed an increase. when I went to Mobil 1. But oddly enough I am seen an increase with RedLine. I am though also aware of the variables.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I agree with Patman. And its difficult to impossible to have good enough controls in normal driving to see any difference. Just too many variables. I never noticed an increase. when I went to Mobil 1. But oddly enough I am seen an increase with RedLine. I am though also aware of the variables.

I'm with Patman too on this although I wouldn't have an idea about % difference. For instance, I'm sure I've seen a decrease with GC vs. M1 but it's not because M1 is anything magic. It's because it's thinner...

on my last subie the mileage improved slightly with m1. on this car there appears to be no difference between synthetic blend (homebrew) and m1. i keep (really) detailed records.

ymmv

Overall, I think not. It's possible that you may see a minor increase if going from heavy dino to a lighter synthetic but doubtful. The main reason for switching is a longer change interval and the internal cleanliness of the engine.

Nope, not with that oil. Good oil but if you want mileage increase try Havoline synthetic. JMO
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back