is it ok tp change oil weight i.e. 5w 30 10w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering [ keep in mind im new and have a limited knowledge about oil / engine but trying hard to learn] is it safe to go from say a 5w30 to a 10w 30 or even a 15w 30 ?

I was just wondering because i see allot of posts talking about changing brands and weights of oil on the same vehicle?

als ois there a place that is independant [from the respective parant companies] that puts oils head to head and give a plain english description of the resaults
smile.gif

thanks

Go for it! I just changed my oil tonight from 5w 40 to 15w 45 no big deal , and afteer I an through with this oil I will go to a 5w 30 !

is there a reason to do that all the time such as performance issues? or is it a seasonal thing? also is ther a place that puts oils head to head to see what is the best oil.

First off its ok to switch different weights of oil. I run 10w30 in the spring thru fall and then switch to 5w30 for the winter so the oil will flow better in my engine and you'll get less wear during startups. You may even consider an 0w30 for winter.

The thicker oils I believe are for racing and trucks that do alot of hauling. I havent found a reason to use them in my vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by waldo1:
is there a reason to do that all the time such as performance issues? or is it a seasonal thing? also is ther a place that puts oils head to head to see what is the best oil.

No. I just grabbed 5w 40 , when I ment to grab 5w 30 ...no biggie..as for the 15w 45 ...I wanted to use Pennzoil Long Life ...and it is only available in 15w 40 ( at least without buying 5 gallon buckets, to get the thinner weights)

quote:

Originally posted by waldo1:
So if an area like michigan where it is really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. I can safley go from my usual weight up or down?

So this winter should go from my 5w 30 to a thicker oil or keep it the same.

5W-30 or 0W-30 in your winter. 10W-30 in the summer. If you run your engine really hard and hot, consider 15W-40 in the summer.

Ken

what is 0w 30 ? i honestly never heard of it before [ newbie sorry ] i am assuming its thiner than 5w 30?

Switching is not only safe, but it makes sense in an area with wide temperature variations (like MI). You CAN, for example, safely use a 5W30 year round (if recommended by your owner's manual), but if you like max oil flow in cold weather and a little thicker oil (or an oil with less viscosity spread) for summer, changing viscosites is a good idea.

So if an area like michigan where it is really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. I can safley go from my usual weight up or down?

So this winter should go from my 5w 30 to a thicker oil or keep it the same.

"So this winter should go from my 5w 30 to a thicker oil or keep it the same." You would want a thicker oil for warm months and a thinner oil for cold months. Imagine molasses trying to flow in January, not gonna work as well as in July. The lower the number before 'W', the thinner the oil is at start-up. For your climate I'd say 5w30 or even 0w30 (if it gets below zero often) for winter and 10w30 for warmer months should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back