Is it ok to use limited slip oil in non limited sl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi; I'm wondering if it is ok to use a synthetic gear oil with the limited slip additive in it for the regular spider gear type of differentials?
I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee that came with towing package and the owners manual states to use a synthetic 75W 140 gear oil. Mine does not have the limited slip option.
The reason I ask is; the limited slip gear oil is all I have right now and wanted to use it for this Jeep rather than buy more. Plus I think I used the limited slip gear oil in the front and rear of my 2002 Yukon. My Yukon did come out with limited slip in the rear. Not thinking too clearly, I bought and used the same for the front too.
Thanks for any advise: John

As long as everything else is the same (IE correct weight) sure go ahead.

It will be just fine.
Bill

The super tech stuff from Wallys doesnt have the additive in it and is cheaper per quart in the horribly overpriced 75w140 variety. Just an option to consider. I see them locally for $12 a quart.

its fine. ive read that the add actually hardens the gear faces a bit which is a plus.

Thanks so much for your quick responses. I really just needed to add to the rear that was low.
I heard a horror story from a friend telling me how someone he
knew let one run completely dry.... So I thought I'd check mine out. It just needed some to top it off. I think I might go to WM and get their Super Tech synthetic gear oil for a future change.
Being I'm not towing with this vehicle, I'm thinking of maybe dropping from the 75W140 to a 75W90. Do you think that would be ok?

Thanks again for the replies, I do appreciate it
smile.gif

75W140 it will be then....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
its fine. ive read that the add actually hardens the gear faces a bit which is a plus.

Interesting! Read where? Would like to follow the thread.

I've used the ST 75w140 in a couple Jeeps, no issues so far, but I've since found the Valvoline at Autozone for only a dollar more, so I'll be using that next time around.

Quote:
I really just needed to add to the rear that was low.
Why was it low? Where did the oil go? If it is leaking anywhere except a very slow gasket leak or very slow pinion seal leak, find and fix the leak. Do not make a posting asking which gear oil is suitable for a leak on brakes....

Mine was a little low due to seepage over a long period of time. It is likely overdue for a clean out and refill...
The one my friend was telling me about that ran dry......
I don't know what happened on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back