Is it ok to use a supertech e core for 2,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the e-core's defense, I've ran them up to 8,000 miles and cut most of them open. I've never seen a blow-through like a few have posted on here. All my high-milage 'cores were either STP or AC/Delco's. Most of the lower-milages ones I've opened were SuperTech's.

The last ST I cut (the one I linked to) was probably the worst looking of all - and one of the lowest milages. It may not have "failed" per say, but the pleats were so uneven at the seam, and had already folded over. Given enough time/miles that one could have turned ugly!

They all did their job though. Media trapped plenty of [censored].

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
In the e-core's defense, I've ran them up to 8,000 miles and cut most of them open. I've never seen a blow-through like a few have posted on here. All my high-milage 'cores were either STP or AC/Delco's. Most of the lower-milages ones I've opened were SuperTech's.

The last ST I cut (the one I linked to) was probably the worst looking of all - and one of the lowest milages. It may not have "failed" per say, but the pleats were so uneven at the seam, and had already folded over. Given enough time/miles that one could have turned ugly!

They all did their job though. Media trapped plenty of [censored].

How many low mileage ST's have you cut open so far? I'm using the ST3614.

I've cut open 2 with 3.2k miles and 3 brand new AC Delco ecores and all 5 of them had wide uneven spaces in the media at the seam, all of which could fail and tear against the ecore cage. If you like to gamble leave it in there.. nothing like a good game of Russian Roulette.

Originally Posted By: rx7rage
Originally Posted By: defektes
Yea, but that would be a waste of $3.00 that I paid for the escrap.
laugh.gif

I want people to give me some reassurance that it'll last at least 2k miles.
laugh.gif

it will be fine, you can run it to 5k if you wanted.

How long have you been using e scraps? You're the only advocating the use of this filter so far.
smile.gif

for a very long time, do a search and you will see some of my cut ups. I have used them on jeeps, gms, fords, toyotas, etc...

Originally Posted By: defektes
Yea, but that would be a waste of $3.00 that I paid for the escrap.
laugh.gif

I want people to give me some reassurance that it'll last at least 2k miles.
laugh.gif

it will be fine, you can run it to 5k if you wanted.

How long have you been using e scraps? You're the only advocating the use of this filter so far.
smile.gif

It is just that the subject is so very old and tiring that you don't see people defending Champ Ecore. I've used about 10 or so over the years on a number of GM motors and cut open most of those. They all looked just fine structure wise and that is more than I can say for some other filters I've seen that are beyond reproach around here. The media has been undistorted, uncompromised and the fiber end caps all bonded on just fine all the way around on every one.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing ... and it can be had for a measly cost of only $3 for the next 5,000 miles!
lol.gif
whistle.gif

The ST will be fine, but for peace of mind I would swap just the filter.

If that were my car after putting a bunch of $$$ into it I would probably put a P1 or RP filter on it.

That car should be running a filter with solid construction and a metal screen backing the media. There's a few options in that category... Donaldson, Amsoil, Fram Xtended Guard, RP, etc.

I'm gonna play Russian Roulette. I only have 1,600 miles to go. lol

01.gif
the e-core and fram paranoia on here is ridiculous.

*Shrug* It's your choice, but if I had a a beautiful car such as that (that certainly must have cost a pretty penny) I'd be running only Mobil 1, K&N, Donaldson, MANN (German) filters on it. No FRAM, no Ecore, not even a traditional pureone or Wix for me.

I'm gonna play Russian Roulette. I only have 1,600 miles to go. lol

russian+roulette.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Peace of mind is a wonderful thing ... and it can be had for a measly cost of only $3 for the next 5,000 miles!
lol.gif
whistle.gif

Don't worry guys, I'll cut up this e core after I hit the 2k mile mark.
smile.gif

I hope it doesn't look like the ecores I opened up and posted in this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1807522&page=1

3.2k miles on a gramma driven Saturn 4 banger.

Not every ecore will do that.. just the ones that have large uneven pleats and poor seams. Luck of the draw. But some will continue to say there's no problem because a lot are opened with no problems. Too bad you can't inspect the media before you buy them.

So, most of you guys are telling him to swap out the Ecore because... his car is too nice for it? That filter isn't worthy to be on a Toyota? Interesting.

Don't spill your Kool-Aid.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So, most of you guys are telling him to swap out the Ecore because... his car is too nice for it? That filter isn't worthy to be on a Toyota? Interesting.

Don't spill your Kool-Aid.

No, I'm telling him to change the ecore because they are a liability on any car. I wouldn't recommend them for a $2 yugo. The fact that's it's a swapped out Turbo Supra engine, on a beautifully mod'd Lexus just makes it even more ridiculous. I'm sure a lot of work went into that car, so there is a lot more to lose.

Is that too hard for you to understand.. or do you need me to use cute one liners with the word 'Kool-Aid' in it to get the message across?

I've used pretty much every brand of filter out there . . . including Frams and ST E-Cores, and am currently using a batch of Canadian spec. AC-Delcos made in Poland (an eBay deal.)

They've all been fine (except maybe for one batch of Purolator-made QS filters that had big blobs of dried glue hanging out of the inlet holes.) The engines in my cars always outlast the chassis anyway.

I'd run the E-Core until the next scheduled oil change . . . and then sell the car for something more useful . . . like maybe a station wagon or a minivan . . . but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: webfors
No, I'm telling him to change the ecore because they are a liability on any car. I wouldn't recommend them for a $2 yugo. The fact that's it's a swapped out Turbo Supra engine, on a beautifully mod'd Lexus just makes it even more ridiculous. I'm sure a lot of work went into that car, so there is a lot more to lose.

Is that too hard for you to understand.. or do you need me to use cute one liners with the word 'Kool-Aid' in it to get the message across?

I said 'most guys'. Did I quote you? Did I mention you specifically? Did I give you, the one person who has given any kind of technical reason not to use the filters, some reason to believe what I said was referring to you? Read the whole thread again and stop looking for an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back