Is it just me? Ford wiper parking issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or is it just a Taurus thing??

This is the second Ford Taurus that likes to park the wipers 180° out of place. This happened on my older daughter's 91 and now on the younger daughter's 93.

How can this defect manage to endure? You would think that it would disappear like all the features that we like about past models. How did the tweaking engineer manage to leave this window of vulnerability intact?

Yeah ..I guess I should be glad that it remains functional during the decay. It is odd that they managed to have a perfectly durable defect.

No ..cars have all kinds of problems. This is the 2nd time ever to have a parking problem with a wiper motor ..both on a Taurus. If enough other Ford people say "shrug" ..sure ..then fine. Just another characteristic quirk of some engineering genius after it doesn't matter anymore. I've had them fail in the past, but parking? They've either worked or they didn't. ..and why 180 out? Why not mid span? 20% ..40% ..60%? Nope. 180 out.

I've seen this on crown vics. Usually a blue hair looking thru the steering wheel. I figured they left them on in an ice storm and stripped something...

It's just a park switch on the wiper motor. We had one trim tech who fixed them on a regular basis, so it can be fixed. The only time I ever worked on that problem, the car was under warranty, so a new wiper motor it got. The sucky part is Ford changed the connector on many wiper motors so you had to splice in another connector to hook it up.

It's not so much that I'm going to dwell a great deal on it one way or the other. I'll probably scavenge a used one somewhere and install it ..problem (most likely) solved. While I'm at it ..I'll play with the current one in place (connections, etc.).

It's merely a rant about the oddity of issue. I guess it's preferred to just not working at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back