Is it bad to use an oil filter with cellulose media longer than 3 months?

2014 Dodge Journey with 2.4L engine and 2006 Saturn Vue with V6 engine. I have a bunch of Bosch premium filter with cellulose media and was previously doing oil changes every 3000 miles/3 months with ST synthetic. Not driving a lot this year because of the pandemic. Its been already 3 months and have not even put in 1000 miles on any of the 2 vehicles. I know that the oil is ok, but does the cellulose media degrade over time even without much use? Is it ok to extend its use for 6 to 8 months assuming 3000 miles is not reached? Thanks for your input.

It would take a long time for that to happen. You should be fine. If it bother's you too much, change out the oil filters and add a little oil.

Scheduled Maintenance
When the Change Engine Oil light comes on, it means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible within the next 600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your Saturn retailer has Saturn-trained service technicians who will perform this work using genuine Saturn parts and reset the system.

You're fine. The Vue V6 is a 3.5 from Honda - it is likely that Honda had their A/B maintenance schedule in 2006 which lets you go two OCIs on one filter. (I'm not 100% on this, but my 2000 Civic followed that pattern)
Oh, by the way - you're changing too often at 3,000 miles.

I'm currently at 14+ months on a standard [cellulose] cartridge oil filter in my VW. I just reset the 'minder at 1 year - waiting to hit my 10k interval for the OCI.

Last edited:
Yep, if it's a J35 (L66 in GM Speak) Honda motor, be less worried about over-maintaining the engine and more worried about doing regular D&F's on the transmission,. 7500 Miles on a non-VCM J Series is a walk in the park.

I wouldn’t worry besides the media is most likely a blend of fibers. Toyota oem filters are nothing special and they are ran 10k which for some is a year of driving.

I wouldn’t worry besides the media is most likely a blend of fibers. Toyota oem filters are nothing special and they are ran 10k which for some is a year of driving.
Or two or three years' worth of driving.

Not nearly that rapidly, unless there's water in the oil (e.g., from excessive short-tripping).
This is a good point, and the reason why when I do drive my low use vehicles, 9 out of 10 trips are long enough to get the engine fully hot for at least 30 minutes to get rid of any moisture inside the engine.

Could I ask what gives you the idea about the time limit of cellulose filters? They are treated with some kind of resin.

Back