Is it a competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's getting your money worth and saving resources.

Weak argument. So many folks have no problem blowing $40-$50 on stuff, weekly or even more so, and can barely claim they are getting their money's worth. I don't really buy that changing the oil at a shorter interval than someone else is not getting your money's worth. And saving resources? Well that might be a good argument if oils were not recycled. Check with Safety-kleen. They sure have made a booming business out of collecting and processing used oils and lubes.

Some folks have no motivation to take oil changes longer than the OEM recommended thing. Nothing wrong with that. It is their comfort zone and it works for them. Doesn't hurt anyone else.

I don't disagree, but these short intervals are usually done at the expense of something else that gets neglected. I've satisfied myself that factory OCI are fine, so I changed the differential oil early instead and I'm trying to be better about keeping up the appearance of the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
...I just let it go.

Almost always the most prudent policy.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
...It's an internet discussion forum.

And a pretty darn good one at that.

I think some people just want to appear like they are "extreme"

They want to brag about a ridiculous extended OCI, or some filter they found in a dumpster and used it for 20,000 miles without any ill effects.

As if the rest of the forum admires their AMAZING feats.

"Hey look at me! I mixed 5 different quarts of oil I found at a thrift store, with 1 quart of apple juice and my motor is fine."

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I think some people just want to appear like they are "extreme"

They want to brag about a ridiculous extended OCI, or some filter they found in a dumpster and used it for 20,000 miles without any ill effects.

As if the rest of the forum admires their AMAZING feats.

"Hey look at me! I mixed 5 different quarts of oil I found at a thrift store, with 1 quart of apple juice and my motor is fine."
banana2.gif
cheers3.gif
crackmeup2.gif
13.gif

Originally Posted By: grantsburg
Originally Posted By: bvance554
It is a weird thing. Some people will spend the money for a UOA so they can eek out every last mile from their oil when they could have just changed the oil for what it cost them to have the UOA done. Then there wouldn't have been any question that they got every last mile out of their fancy 'synthetic' oil. I'll get flamed, but I just find it a little dumb and a waste of time and money. All the while believing you are somehow saving time, money, and the planet.

Some of us have money to waste. Some of us are auto geeks who just like doing UOAs to see the numbers and then sharing them with others. What I think is weird is how much you and others read into this.

Bottom line, if the oil discussions here bothers certain people then they should get the [censored] off the forum. Use a brand name oil and follow the manufacturers OCI recommendations. Your engine will last longer than you'll keep the car. Nuff said.

Ha! What? Yes you do seem upset. Thats what we were doing on an oil forum... discussing oil. So maybe if you can't discuss it without cursing someone who feels differently than you, then maybe it is you who should get the explitive off the forum.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Ha! What? Yes you do seem upset. Thats what we were doing on an oil forum... discussing oil. So maybe if you can't discuss it without cursing someone who feels differently than you, then maybe it is you who should get the explitive off the forum.

LOL. Dude, that is just the way I talk. I'm blunt both in real life and online. I haven't spent much time here so I haven't gotten a good feel for this forum yet. But I was hoping that I wouldn't have to tip toe around here worrying about whether I'm going to hurt someone's feelings.

Geez, this internet forum stuff is such serious business.

Primarily because people are not face to face with each other. Easy to say a lot of things to and about people when they are not staring you in the eye.

I can cotton to those that like to try things like extending drains and running all the UOA's. I do it to some extent with my commercial trucks and equipment, since it can really make a difference money wise. For my pickup, not so much. 6 qts of oil is merely like spitting on the sidewalk. The OLM down to 10% suits me fine in that situation. When folks turn it into religious dogma about oils and intervals, it has gone over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back