Is it a competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grantsburg

Bottom line, if the oil discussions here bothers certain people then they should get the [censored] off the forum.

\
manlet.gif
You seem upset. Just as easily, you could simply ignore the users who make you this upset. Like I've done with you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Starting to sound troll like.

STARTING? It's got troll written all over it.

We need some anti inflammatories, stat!

Originally Posted By: telecat
{original post}:.....my Dangerwillrobinson squinky/swanky oil filter

My squinky/wanky got a tear in it. (Made by Purolator of course.)

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Reading about oil and filter change intervals, there are some who seem to be competing to get the longest intervals.
smirk.gif

"Well *I* got 27,000 miles on my Oogabooga synthetic oil and my Dangerwillrobinson squinky/swanky oil filter, and the oil looked GREAT! No sludge and ***I*** WIN!!! "

"I got 82000 miles on my DingaBinga synthetic oil and my Dingleberry Sooper-Sekrit, solid-platinum oil filter and ***I*** WIN!!!"

"I never had ANY problems with my Volcano synthetic oil and Uberindica oil filter and I ran them both for 250,000 miles without an oil change. ***I*** WIN!!!"

What is the point of running such extended OCI/OFI? Are y'all actually trying to prove something or are you just swinging your manhood?

I prefer someone to actually use the capabilities of an synthetic fluid rather than praise to heavens on how "synthetics" are the be all end all of fluids and change it at 2K because it makes them "feel better". If you are going preach that you have the best thing in your crankcase since the conception of an oil change. Use it to its capabilities.

This! If you're going to use good oil, then friggen use it!

I rarely look at the UOA section anymore. It's 90% filled with 2-6k OCI's on premium oil and filters.

Originally Posted By: saginawmale50
M-1 EP with a Fram ultra and change every 3000. Has kept my 1997 Chevy Malibu purring like a kitten. I want to keep my soon to be classic running strong. Over 136000 miles!!! I auto-rx every other oil change with PYB and a cheap ocod to get all the sludge out then run with pyb for 1000 miles to rinse all the gunk thats been accumulated.
laugh.gif

This is sarcasm right?

"I got 82000 miles on my DingaBinga synthetic oil and my Dingleberry Sooper-Sekrit, solid-platinum oil filter and ***I*** WIN!!!"

**Dingleberry**
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors

**Dingleberry**
crackmeup2.gif

I was wondering when someone would notice or get it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

I'm still not getting why this upsets you so much.

Because I've gotten a lot of grief from the BITOG 20K OCI police.

Since you brought it up... you've been openly advocating 3K oil changes, so yes, you're going to get a LOT of grief on this site, and not just from the "BITOG 20K OCI", you'll get it from many, many members.

Not me. I'm just pointing out that your 3K position is going to be hard to defend here. Personally, I follow the manufacturer's OCI unless there's some other issue, and then I fix the issue and go back to the manufacturer's OCI.

For example last week I was helping a guy diagnose a problem on his '98 Chevy, and he mentioned he took it to Jiffy Lube every 3K miles like clockwork. Now, I hate Jiffy Lube with a deep burning passion, and I think 3K miles is a waste of money and good fresh oil. I just said "uh-huh" and let it go. Oh yeah, engine had 246K miles on it. I wasn't going to recommend mfg OCI and then have it go South and then he might blame me. I just let it go.

A lot of folks here won't let it go. It's an internet discussion forum. Expect to catch grief if you take an extreme position, and yes 3K is an extreme position nowadays.

This! If you're going to use good oil, then friggen use it!
I use WhateversOnSale 5w30 DINO and either Wix or P Classic filters, 3K OCI. My OEM recommends 3-5K OCI, depending on service conditions, and i just err on the side of caution.

While politically I'm an evil, godless commie, when it comes to vehicles, electric guitars and amps (Teles and Tweed, baby!!!) and airplanes (7:1 compression ROCKS!), I'm conservative. I use what I know works for me, in a way that works for me. I just think there's an air of competitiveness among the OCI extenders, as if getting 20K on an oil change is somehow good. It's not.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
A lot of folks here won't let it go. It's an internet discussion forum. Expect to catch grief if you take an extreme position, and yes 3K is an extreme position nowadays.

Not in my world, it's not.

manlet.gif
You seem upset. Just as easily, you could simply ignore the users who make you this upset. Like I've done with you.

You have ignored me by quoting me and responding?
grin.gif

I'm not upset at all. I just think you are either a troll or a sensitive soul who was hurt by someone who said you should run your oil longer. Poor guy, perhaps Internet forums just aren't for you.

I carefully UOAd my new car. You know what I found out? The manufacturer interval was fine. Conservative even. The only weird thing is that I was a little surprised for some reason.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's getting your money worth and saving resources.

Weak argument. So many folks have no problem blowing $40-$50 on stuff, weekly or even more so, and can barely claim they are getting their money's worth. I don't really buy that changing the oil at a shorter interval than someone else is not getting your money's worth. And saving resources? Well that might be a good argument if oils were not recycled. Check with Safety-kleen. They sure have made a booming business out of collecting and processing used oils and lubes.

Some folks have no motivation to take oil changes longer than the OEM recommended thing. Nothing wrong with that. It is their comfort zone and it works for them. Doesn't hurt anyone else.

Shorter OCI (5k miles) with blotter spot tests every week after 2k miles to get dilution demons. Older vehicles have leaky injectors anyhow.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I carefully UOAd my new car. You know what I found out? The manufacturer interval was fine. Conservative even. The only weird thing is that I was a little surprised for some reason.

Think that's because it IS a NEW engine. After a few thousand miles the oil won't endure that much, because the contaminants accumulations in every OCI, from remains... So the manufacturer interval is an average from new to used (up to warranty time period). They're not conservative, just on the first UOA.

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Think that's because it IS a NEW engine. After a few thousand miles the oil won't endure that much, because the contaminants accumulations in every OCI, from remains... So the manufacturer interval is an average from new to used (up to warranty time period). They're not conservative, just on the first UOA.

Huh? I have UOA'ed every OC in my FX4 and it now has 135K on it and nothing is further from the truth. OEM recommendations are usually VERY conservative, but it can depend on the oil that you are using. Ford recommends 5K for severe service and 7.5K for regular on it, but at 7.5K all of the oils that I have used in my FX4 to date had plenty of life in them, in fact, on a 15K run the TBN was still at 2.9 indicating some life remaining. You can search for my UOAs and see for yourself.

There are many good reasons for extending OCIs that have nothing to do with bragging rights.
We have a number of memebers who put a lot of miles on their daily drivers, for example, so extended OCIs backed with a couple of UOAs make sense for them.
In my case, I try to avoid winter oil changes, so I like to use an oil that will easily go the disatnce until the following spring.
Draining an oil before really needed does nothing to protect the engine or to keep it clean.

M-1 EP with a Fram ultra and change every 3000. Has kept my 1997 Chevy Malibu purring like a kitten. I want to keep my soon to be classic running strong. Over 136000 miles!!! I auto-rx every other oil change with PYB and a cheap ocod to get all the sludge out then run with pyb for 1000 miles to rinse all the gunk thats been accumulated.
laugh.gif

This is sarcasm right?
laugh.gif

This is sarcasm right?

I sure hope so.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

In my case, I try to avoid winter oil changes, so I like to use an oil that will easily go the disatnce until the following spring.

Now that is one of the best arguments I have read and makes sense, especially when one uses the DIY method.

Maybe changing the oil doesn't keep the engine appreciably cleaner. And maybe the oil has a lot of life left. So what? Not everyone's comfort level is the same. Changing at an earlier interval than others may go is not wasteful. It is their money and they feel good about the deal. Resources are not depleted, the oil will get used again somewhere else. Extending drains, for some, just adds to their stress level. It makes them feel better to follow a simpler way like the OEM recommended drain interval. And some folks are just plain paranoid when it comes to warranties and such.

People get into "zones" and they do not deal with it well leaving that zone. It is their money and they are not wasting anything. Of all the things that many folks "waste" their money on, an oil change barely moves the "waste" meter.

For my commercial needs, I will do regular UOA's and I do extend the drains 50% over the OEM recommended level. That is my comfort zone. The oil still could be used further per the UOA's, but I find that my mind goes a wondering and I become a little edgy if I go beyond the interval I am using. So, I change it. I feel better. But even doing that is possible for my comfort level because the OEM for my commercial engine, in their Lubrication Manual, specifically states that extending drains will not void any warranty. But even then, they give caveats about doing it. Only with UOA's and such. With my personal pickup, down to 10% on the OLM is where I start getting edgy, so I change it and rest better.

There's also a sensible approach based upon what you see in UOAs.
In the case of the BMW, 4K miles of summer driving on Nextgen Maxlife 10W-40 accumulated in two months resulted in a UOA with very low wear metals and plenty of residual TBN, but with 2.9% fuel dilution and a drop in viscosity to the thirty grade range. That is consistent with what I've seen of other UOAs with this engine.
That convinced me that 4-5K drains were plenty long for this engine.
The old Accords always showed low wear metals, solid TBN and virtually no fuel dilution out to 7K, so I considered that a reasonable drain interval, although Honda recommended 7.5K or one year.
I don't really try to extend drains, but I also don't think that most engines as most of us use them really need 5K OCIs, much less shorter ones.
If I were doing .5K a week or more, I'd probably select an oil, do a couple of UOAs and figure out just how many miles I could safely run it simply as a matter of convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back