Is is best to stick with an oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard many years ago that it's usually best for the engine to pick a favorite oil brand and type early on, and stick to it as much as possible for the long term. Unless there is good reason to change.
I know that's not much fun--but is there any truth to this?

The owner's manual on my '69 VW van says, this, by the way.

yes, i believe it.

after you get a new car, put synthetic oil&filter in it for life.

How would staying with the same brand of oil make any difference? Look at the ingredients [The UOAs and the virgin oils analysis] they are all about the same, additives and base oils are made by a handfull of companies.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
How would staying with the same brand of oil make any difference?

I'm not sure. Maybe its an old thing where engines wear in
(or used to wear in?)
to a pattern based on the oil used. I dunno.
I suppose nowadays, the average owner gets whatever oils their latest convenient OC place puts in and still go 200,000 or more miles. But I still wonder what's really best...

Originally Posted By: ZZman
If you do kiss this site goodbye.......

Ya. I know. Boring.

Yes, I always put in the oil that's on sale, or that can be had for cheap (such as Super Tech) The exact brand doesn't matter, as long as it's a good sale or the price is low. SuperTech gives excellent UOA. I have a bad habit of using el-Cheapo brand oils, and so far the engines I have had always worked well and lasted at least until trade-in or sale to another party. Never had one engine go belly-up on me. I am cheap, so I keep my vehicles for a LONG time, such as 15 - 20 years or more.

I don't think it matters, i think your engine would actually benefit from the different additives,but on the other side of the coin i've always ran one oil in everything i own.

just keep running your 15w50 and be happy!
wink.gif
11.gif

I use the cheapest quality oil that I can find. Sometimes it's Havoline, Chevron Supreme, TA... My latest favorite has been the AAP house brand oil (Coastal I have been told). I picked up 10 gallons ($3.98 a gallon). It's a great deal when it's on sale.

Originally Posted By: daman
just keep running your 15w50 and be happy!
wink.gif
11.gif

Ya. I can pretty much count on that.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: sw99
...$3.98 a gallon...

Wahoo. I pay more than that a quart!

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Doesn't matter, The brands change their formulations all the time anyway.

Good point.

I would like to try all differnt brands of oil in my vehicles, but it seems like the theroy of if its not broke dont fix it applies, IMO. My Ranger loves its M1 5w30. The Blazer runs smoother and quieter with the VavMLB over the VavWB. If anything I may try to switch to VavML full syn for winter. Not sure if I should though. I'll probably start a thread on it in October
34.gif

Maybe changing oils is good at keeping buildup out of your engine,sort`ve like changing shampoos is good for keeping buildup out of your hair ;^)

Anyway,I change oils all the time.

I say use the same oil a few times and then change brands. Maybe use an oil for a year and try another. I use up my stash, oldest first, but i use all of it up and then move on. That's usually a few changes worth. I'd get bored with the same oil all the time.

It's most fulfilling catching specials on "brand X" because in my mind it may be the best 5w-30 because additive packages are not all the same; and it can't hurt because

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Makes no difference to the engine. Change away.

Any brand name oil is good for most engines, and best of all in using different brand name oil on sale is your wallet is not lighter than buying the same oil at full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back