Is Honda Z1 ATF a deeper shade of red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled a sample at 7500 miles on my Odyssey AT and it was very dark. It is nothing like the Amsoil ATF that I had brand new on the shelf (which is a much lighter red). I was wondering if Honda used a more "purple" dye in the oil that makes it appear darker. I have a gallon of Mola's Z1 replacement fluid and it appears to be darker too, so maybe he tried to color match the dye. I have never bought Z1 before so I don't have any to compare. Anyone else experience this?

I did multiple oil changes on my honda, older 96 model using Z1, The old oil would be very dark after about 5000 miles, the new oil a nice clear red.

I captured the fluids in a clear water bottle. the first change I could not even see through the bottle it was so dark, like a dark cherry red. after the third drain/fill cycle I could see through the oil. the unused oil was a much lighter red.

I have changed it out of my daughters CRV and it was the same color as the new stuff right out of the bottle.

Quote:

I have changed it out of my daughters CRV and it was the same color as the new stuff right out of the bottle.

That's what scares me. I am wondering if I cooked this ATF when I towed in the desert heat. Why...won't....that....oil report GET HERE!!!!

Okay. So if the Oil report comes back crummy, I am swapping out oil. I was going to do a partial change with some of Mola's Z1 fluid, but now I am wondering if I should do a full swap. And, of course, I don't have enough to do a full swap. And, just my luck, Mola is moving Specialty Formaulations right now and I can't get more of his fluid.
crazy.gif

Okay, deep breath. Let's wait until the UOA comes back. I might end up buying some Z1 from Honda if I have to.

Well, there was an UOA of Honda ATF-Z1 on this forum after 60k miles, and the report came back fine, even though the fluid was dark brown. Most Honda V6 transmissions I see have brown fluid. The fluid tends to turn brown rather quickly and I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Thanks Critic for the re-assurance. Blackstone received my sample this morning, so if history repeats itself I will have the report tomorrow morning.
theyareontome.gif

Z1 is a bit darker than your typical DexIII right out of the bottle, and Honda has issued TSBs stating that it is normal for it to turn dark quickly. with Z1 color does not indicate condition (and the stuff smells weird too).

not off hand. i'll try to find it. it was a TSB relating to their transmission problems, telling dealers how to spot bad ones, and telling them to filter the Z1 through filter paper and re-use it even if it was dark in color.

Thanks for the link. That is from an Acura publication. That's why I didn't recognize it. Does anyone know it's number so I can get the complete file?

I don't see where they say to reuse the old ATF. They say to refill with ATF Z1.

Funny how certain automakers say the dark color is normal and others don't.
IMO, if the color changes(becomes discolored), change the ATF.
If it smells burnt, change the fluid.
If you want proof, UOA the fluid. Or, just wait for the new warranty transmission.

If the color changes quickly and you own and plan on keeping that vehicle, install an ATF cooler and aftermarket ATF filter.

I haven't seen that 60k Z1 UOA. Post the link. There are other considerably lower mileage Hondacura ATF UOAs that are not impressive.

Okay, so maybe the dye in the Z1 fluid is just more temperature sensitive? I have an AT cooler, but the transmission has seen fairly hot ambient temperatures (+100F for probably a month) and did some towing in those temperatures too.

I am still waiting for my Blackstone report to get back to me. I think I will give them a call because it is not like them to sit on it for 2 days. Maybe there are having email troubles again.

I never take a chance with ATF. I change it before it turns darker based on mileage. But it is easier to swap out 2-3 qts on a regular mileage basis and change according to the book. If you are having a trans failure that is different.

"I just pulled a sample at 7500 miles on my Odyssey AT and it was very dark. " End quote

Mine too. I drain and fill ATF at 9k-10k miles on the Odyssey. Dark, very dark. Same fluid from same case of 12 quarts of Z1 ATF in an old 94 Accord AT at 20K looks light colored almost like new. So it can not be good for ATF to get dark. Most likely the ATF gets hotter and or dirtier with more particles of worn clutches in the Odyssey than in the old car. This can't be good. Just look at those Honda Acura 5 speed transmissions in the Acura CL, TL, Odyssey, MDX. They fail often. My friend's Odyssey and TL did. Their ATF gets dark fast.

Noticed Honda Z1 in my auto RSX gets dark quick too. Not sure if its significant or not. Either way I drain and fill every 10K to be on the safe side.

Interesting.....

I kept the Z-1 changed very frequently in my 2002 Ody. I actually noticed the color of the fluid getting lighter with use. Everytime it got close to clear, I changed it (5k)

A Blackstone sample showed high insolubles the month before it died.

New transmission fluid started off darker and has stayed darker than what I saw in the first transmission (it made me wonder if the formula was changed - or the dealer mixed up something themselves)

Lamina Lou - I wouldn't be worried about an '06. Your insolubles are null, all I saw before my failure was insolubles high on fluid that only had 3000 miles on it (total of 25K on transmission)

I haven't heard of any '05 or '06 failures. This far into the 05' makes me think they fixed the issue.

Critic, that isn't an Odyssey UOA. Its not even relevant for this thread. There is no comparison between an RSX and on overweight overburdened minivan transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back