Is Honda PS Fluid Anything Special?

I had some work done on my 2005 Honda Civic due to a leak in one of the PS lines. The mechanic replaced the lost fluid with a "Honda combatable" fluid. Should I replace this fluid with OEM fluid?

Honda PS is indeed different from most 'normal' PS fluids (If memory serves, it is thicker and contains a pile of AW additives in one form or another), but there are several alternatives that work just fine. You just don't want to go throwing a 'regular' PS fluid in there.

Apparently, the OEM fluid performs better than the aftermarket stuff in sub-zero temps. I can't comment on the aftermarket offerings since I have only ever used OEM.

Found the post I was looking for: (Pulled from MolaKule's Postings)

1. A slightly higher viscosity than other PSF's or ATFs.
2. A zddp AW package similar to that of an SL motor oil.
3. Special dispersants and friction modifiers."

And also from Mola, a VOA:
Appearance Lt. Pale
Flash, COC, Deg F. 355
Pour Point, Deg F. -40
Viscosity, cSt At 40 C. 53.75
At 100 C. 11.34
Viscosity Index MIN 205
Viscosity, Brookfield cP @ -40C < 64000
Oxidation Stability, D-2272 > 200 minutes
Copper Corrosion 3A Max.
Zn Content, ppm. 1500
P Content, ppm. 1300
Mg Content, ppm 580
Ca Content, ppm 220
TBN, ASTM D-4739 5.0

IMO it’s nothing special, it’s just significantly different from everyone else’s racks that live on plain ATF. It’s different just to be different, like their ATF because they use what’s essentially an automated manual transmission with shift forks and pads.

like their ATF because they use what’s essentially an automated manual transmission with shift forks and pads.
Not quite, or at least not since the 80's/early 90's.

They're all hydraulic multi-plate clutches now (speaking specifically of the Z1/Dw1 'required' transmissions, 5/6 speeds). One clutch pack per gear.

Last edited:
Not quite, or at least not since the 80's/early 90's.

They're all hydraulic multi-plate clutches now (speaking specifically of the Z1/Dw1 'required' transmissions, 5/6 speeds). One clutch pack per gear.
I was going by what Mola said during a discussion on the mid-00’s Odyssey transmissions. There was a diagram; that’s all I really know about them. I ditched it for 4EATs and 6F35 and 8F35s. Thanks!

Ive been curious about that stuff. Tempted to try it.
LG is one of those companies that I trust to not make a bad product. Not saying I use everything they make, but I don't have any qualms with using something of theirs if it fits my need. I've been wanting to try their ATF, but can't really find it for a price that makes sense when Maxlife is so widely available and reasonably priced.

So I replaced the psf in the reservoir today with Honda fluid. I was surprised how dirty the new fluid was in there after a couple of days

So I replaced the psf in the reservoir today with Honda fluid. I was surprised how dirty the new fluid was in there after a couple of days
The fastest way to clear the system is to remove the top hose from the reservoir and stuff it in a collection tank, and ready a few bottles of new fluid. Then, have a helper start the car and turn the wheel back and forth as you pour new fluid into the system, until the stuff going into your collection tank is cleaner. Then simply reattach the top hose to the reservoir and fill it to the correct level.

Note: take care to not dump new fluid into the reservoir too fast as it will gladly run out of the top attachment… 🙈

Back