Is Havoline Synthetic a top rated oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason I ask is I forgot to tell the service attendant to use my oil laying on the
passenger seat so they installed Havoline 0W-20 Syn and some UI brand of filter in the Accord. Can't fault them since I failed to tell them to use my oil and filter. I've been using
PP or PU and Ultra filters in the Accord and wanted to continue with that. The MM was at 10% with 20K on the oil. Should I go with the MM until it tells me it time again, or dump it at 5K and put the Penn in? I'm just not familiar with Havoline products.

Definitely don't dump it at 5k! Havoline and other chevron products are "top shelf", I don't know about top rated, that's more of an opinion IMHO
smile.gif
it should perform as well as PP as they are both SN rated etc. no worries.
Ill be using some Havoline SYN in the fall, and I have stash with old PU, PP, Edge, QSUD, M1 etc.

Never in 44 years of driving have I been disappointed in Havoline oil product. They seem to have "Grit" ala "The Duke"

Last edited:
Havoline is top-notch stuff. One of my favorite oils. I'll more than likely use Havoline Synthetic next in my Acura. I've used Havoline conventional a number of times, as well as their synthetic in other cars I've maintained.

While the Havoline synthetic is a very good oil , I personally would drain it around 6,500 miles ~ 7,500 miles due to a slightly lower VI than PP or PUP . Also due to the ? oil filter you may wish to change out slightly earlier . * Unless your running M1 EP I'm not keeping any oil in my sump past 10K miles .

Honda's MM is not calibrated for M1 EP. It doesn't really matter what BRAND of oil that you use in it, as long as you are using a quality name brand 0W-20 synthetic, IMO you can follow the Honda MM with confidence. IMO Honda has done their homework on their MM. It appears to be pretty accurate, easily the best of it's kind. Over the years, I have had very good luck with Havoline oils.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Doesn't AAP have 0w20 Havoline?

I've seen the conventional, and if they have synthetic, not the 0w-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Doesn't AAP have 0w20 Havoline?

Only seen Havoline Synthetic in 5W-20, not 0W-20....

But it exists according to the Havoline website.

Any API SN 0w20 should be of good quality. Why though, did you run your previous fill out to 20K miles?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
While the Havoline synthetic is a very good oil , I personally would drain it around 6,500 miles ~ 7,500 miles due to a slightly lower VI than PP or PUP . Also due to the ? oil filter you may wish to change out slightly earlier . * Unless your running M1 EP I'm not keeping any oil in my sump past 10K miles .

+1

Also much higher NOACK so watch your oil level as you get further into the OCI. Burned 1.5 qts over 4.5k miles in my 2.4L Chevy Equinox; consumption is 1/4 of that with PP.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Havoline Syn. is an excellent oil.
I can't believe you went 20K on PP...

Whoops, finger slip; should have been 10K.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
I just can't believe you found Havoline Synthetic 0w-20...

I didn't actually see the bottles, but Havoline is the brand this shop uses and when they came in with the bill I questioned the cost saying I had my own oil laying on the front seat (but forgot to expressly tell them to use it) they said "your oil was 5w-20 so we assumed it was for another vehicle you got it for, inasmuch as the Accord calls for 0w-20". The bill just states "Havoline synthetic..4qts". With tire rotation, oil/filter change it was $69 incl tax.
Seems fair enough.

I normally do my own oil changes but since I needed to have the tires rotated figured I have them do it. I've done that before, especially when the wx is bad.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Any API SN 0w20 should be of good quality. Why though, did you run your previous fill out to 20K miles?

A misprint....should have been 10K.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: gregk24

A misprint....should have been 10K.

At 20k miles you would have set the all-time Honda MM record! I have heard of a couple of BITOG members going over 15k miles on their Honda MM, so I didn't question it.
By contrast, my wife's Honda is driven <6k miles a year, all stop-and-go city driving with 2-3 cold starts a day, driven 4-5 miles after a cold start, and the MM on her Honda has me changing the oil at just over 5k miles, which seems just about right to me. IMHO Honda has done a good job on their MM system. What I DON'T subscribe to is Honda's recommendation of changing the oil filter at every other oil change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back