Is German Castrol we have here the same as German Castrol Formula RS 0W-40

I was on Castrol's German website and found the Castrol Formula RS 0W-40. I hear people saying the GC around here is closer to a 40W. I can't help buy wonder if it's the same stuff. Here's the link http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=82916345&contentId=6004582 Why would they make two different forumlas? I don't see why they sell CG in the US anyway.. Why does Castrol do it? it's not like they market with the intention of people going through the rows looking for the ones made in Germany. Wouldn't it just be cheaper for them to sell all US made Syntec?

I can't speak for Germany but in Norway GC (Gold) is equal to Castrol SLX Longtec 0W-30, 12.2 cSt @ 100C. The RS 0W-40 is thicker @ 100C, 12.9 to 13.5 cSt.

Patman I've wondered that myself. The end result, since the difference is negligible, is one product to cover two SAE grades! Which is a further vote of confidence in GC's high temp' protection i.e. it can be used in applications requiring a 40wt oil. Not entirely dissimilar to Red Line recommending their 30wt in 40wt applications. Peter