Is German Castrol we have here the same as German Castrol Formula RS 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on Castrol's German website and found the Castrol Formula RS 0W-40. I hear people saying the GC around here is closer to a 40W. I can't help buy wonder if it's the same stuff.

Here's the link

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=82916345&contentId=6004582

Why would they make two different forumlas?

I don't see why they sell CG in the US anyway.. Why does Castrol do it? it's not like they market with the intention of people going through the rows looking for the ones made in Germany. Wouldn't it just be cheaper for them to sell all US made Syntec?

I can't speak for Germany but in Norway GC (Gold) is equal to Castrol SLX Longtec 0W-30, 12.2 cSt @ 100C. The RS 0W-40 is thicker @ 100C, 12.9 to 13.5 cSt.

I've always wondered if the Formula RS 0w40 stuff was simply the 0w30 Formula SLX with a little bit more VII added.

Patman I've wondered that myself. The end result, since the difference is negligible, is one product to cover two SAE grades!
Which is a further vote of confidence in GC's high temp' protection i.e. it can be used in applications requiring a 40wt oil. Not entirely dissimilar to Red Line recommending their 30wt in 40wt applications.

Peter

Castrol RS 0w-40 is not the same as GC/SLX etc. It is BP Visco 9000 aka BMW Synth...

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back