Is GC the right oil for my car? New member needs to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
This is my first post and I'd just like to say that I've learned alot by coming here. I have alot to learn. I'd love a crash course if anyone is interested. Anyway, my real question is that I have an 05 Audi S4 and want to use GC 0W-30. I was going to try Motul E-Tech 0W-40 but the AZ near me carries the GC so I figured I'd try it. I was using Pentosynth 5W-40 and my dealer switched out to Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40. Is this a true synthetic? Is it good? Is it PAO or ester based? I want to do an oil change tonight and want to get some GC if you guys think it would be good. The engine is a 4.2L V8. It will be combined Hwy/cty and some aggressive driving, too. Thanks alot!

quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:
The 0W-30 is not too thin, in your opinion? Most people are running 5W-40 or 0W-40.

GC isn't really a 30 weight, it's a bit closer to a 40.

GC was made for your car, Audi's, BMW's, VW's all love the GC.

If you're worried about it being too thin, go for the belgium 0w-40

The only BC I've seen is 5W-40. Is this stuff really good, too? In the same league as GC?

quote:

The only BC I've seen is 5W-40. Is this stuff really good, too? In the same league as GC?

It will work fine in your Audi as will Mobil 1 0w40.

As long as it meets the factory specs for oil and your conditions you'll be fine.

GC will be great, BC would prolly be a little bit better for harsher driving conditions. Try them out, dont be afraid to find whats best for your car.

So go try GC, then BC, then Mobil...

[ May 13, 2005, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: daemonite ]

quote:

Hello,
This is my first post and I'd just like to say that I've learned alot by coming here. I have alot to learn. I'd love a crash course if anyone is interested. Anyway, my real question is that I have an 05 Audi S4 and want to use GC 0W-30. I was going to try Motul E-Tech 0W-40 but the AZ near me carries the GC so I figured I'd try it. I was using Pentosynth 5W-40 and my dealer switched out to Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40. Is this a true synthetic? Is it good? Is it PAO or ester based? I want to do an oil change tonight and want to get some GC if you guys think it would be good. The engine is a 4.2L V8. It will be combined Hwy/cty and some aggressive driving, too. Thanks alot!

First of all...
welcome.gif

Read my post, "conversation with elves" in the GC section, where you are now...i am now a believer...

The elves quality control is well...elfish...

"Elves are my co-pilot"

darrell
sin city

quote:

Based on info I've read hear, it doesn't sound like the BC is as good as the GC. With that said, AFAIK no one has done any extensive testing on the BC like was recently done on the GC. I say give the GC a try in your S4, lots of 2.7T S4 owners love the stuff.

I'd also like to add that if you really want a 5w-40 for your S4, give Mobil 1 T&SUV formula a try. It's purported to be the same as Delvac 1, and excellent oil. I've seen it in 5-quart jugs at my local Wal-Mart for $20, so it's also reasonably priced.

Thanks! It's actually a 4.2L V8, not the 2.7T. Do you know the base stock of the BC? Why is the M1 T&SUV formula better than the regular M1? Is this the same as the Delvac?

quote:

Thanks! It's actually a 4.2L V8, not the 2.7T. Do you know the base stock of the BC? Why is the M1 T&SUV formula better than the regular M1? Is this the same as the Delvac?

V8,

Save yourself the concern; GC will be fine for you. The Agip PC Synth won't kill your engine; just relax and change it when you're ready.

From the Audi UK website:

quote:

One of the key components of the AVS [Audi Variable Servicing] system is the engineering and technology of Audi engines including areas such as precise machining of components, honing of cylinder bores and closer bearing tolerances.
This is allied with the use of advanced formulation Long Life oils such as Castrol SLX OW30 Long Life 2., which have been specially formulated for Audi.

This new generation of ultra high-grade synthetic oils is designed to withstand ageing and high loads without deterioration. Using ordinary high quality multigrade oil will not cause any engine damage but it will defeat the object of the new AVS technology and will mean that a service will be needed at fixed 10,000 mile intervals. In addition, compared with conventional oils, Long Life oils give exceptional levels of engine protection, are kinder to the environment and deliver fuel savings.

I'd stick with BC 5W40 for your `05 S4 and here's why....Under your vehicle's free schedualed maintanence program the dealer will be using BC 5W40(505.00 is mandatory for all `05 Audis). Thats 10qts of free synthetic motor oil @ 5k miles and every 10k miles after that until you reach 50k miles. Yes, you might want to change your own oil inbetween those intervals. But I say take what Audi gives you. Use BC @ every OCI until your car is out of warranty, then use whatever you want to.

[ May 13, 2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:
I'd stick with BC 5W40 for your `05 S4 and here's why....Under your vehicle's free schedualed maintanence program the dealer will be using BC 5W40(505.00 is mandatory for all `05 Audis). Thats 10qts of free synthetic motor oil @ 5k miles and every 10k miles after that until you reach 50k miles. Yes, you might want to change your own oil inbetween those intervals. But I say take what Audi gives you. Use BC @ every OCI until your car is out of warranty, then use whatever you want to.

My dealer put Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40 in there. If they used the BC I wouldn't mind, or even the pentosynth pentospeed 0W-30 or 5W-40. But I did buy the GC so that is alright, though?

quote:

Originally posted by Paranoil:
From the Audi UK website:

quote:

One of the key components of the AVS [Audi Variable Servicing] system is the engineering and technology of Audi engines including areas such as precise machining of components, honing of cylinder bores and closer bearing tolerances.
This is allied with the use of advanced formulation Long Life oils such as Castrol SLX OW30 Long Life 2., which have been specially formulated for Audi.

This new generation of ultra high-grade synthetic oils is designed to withstand ageing and high loads without deterioration. Using ordinary high quality multigrade oil will not cause any engine damage but it will defeat the object of the new AVS technology and will mean that a service will be needed at fixed 10,000 mile intervals. In addition, compared with conventional oils, Long Life oils give exceptional levels of engine protection, are kinder to the environment and deliver fuel savings.

Wow! That's some cool info! I wish NA got the same kind of technical info. Why does the M3 use such a thick oil (10W-60)? I understand it is apples and eggs but I'm sure BMW has similar tolerances, etc. BTW, I don't have a variable sevice schedule, just the every 10K that audi recommends. Again, europe gets treated like adults.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

V8,

Save yourself the concern; GC will be fine for you. The Agip PC Synth won't kill your engine; just relax and change it when you're ready.

I know, but like you guys I am obssesive about this stuff and love the fact that the oil in my car could lube a jet turbine! Thanks.

quote:

quote:

quote:

V8,

I know, but like you guys I am obssesive about this stuff and love the fact that the oil in my car could lube a jet turbine! Thanks.

I'm not trying to sell you on the Agip...I just don't want you to be overly concerned until you can do a change. The PC synth prob has some of those jet turbine lubricating esters you are wishing for so I wouldn't be too ready to dismiss it as a low tech oil.

quote:

Originally posted by daemonite:

quote:

It will work fine in your Audi as will Mobil 1 0w40.

As long as it meets the factory specs for oil and your conditions you'll be fine.

GC will be great, BC would prolly be a little bit better for harsher driving conditions. Try them out, dont be afraid to find whats best for your car.

So go try GC, then BC, then Mobil...

Thanks!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

V8,

I'm not trying to sell you on the Agip...I just don't want you to be overly concerned until you can do a change. The PC synth prob has some of those jet turbine lubricating esters you are wishing for so I wouldn't be too ready to dismiss it as a low tech oil.

No, I totally understand what you mean: the agip for what it is and the specs it carries will undoubtedly protect my car in most applications if not put under any insane stress in relation to a 100% ester, etc. I'm just starting to get REALLY interested in these base oils and the choices these manufacturers make and why.

Here are the specs on Agip Synth PC 5W-40:

Synthetic PC 5W-40 Meets or exceeds API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4-98/B4-02, VW 502.00/505.00 and MB 229.1/ 229.3

quote:

Here are the specs on Agip Synth PC 5W-40:

Synthetic PC 5W-40 Meets or exceeds API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4-98/B4-02, VW 502.00/505.00 and MB 229.1/ 229.3

No VW 503.01?

I just thought I'd pop this link in here for future reference...

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82916482&contentId=6005377

Blitz, I'd get an oil extractor pump if I were you. Easy to change just the oil in your car by pumping it out through the dipstick tube and then just use the inclusive dealer maintenance services for the filter changes. That allows more frequent fluid changes without paying the dealer for a full service. Worth the few $ for just oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back