Is GC the best choice for an Acura 3.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife just bought a 2001 Acura CL 3.2 S-type with 99K miles. I changed the oil and filter right away with GC 0w-30 and Mobil-1 m-104 filter. I can not find any UOA in the search for this combo. Most are Mobil-1 oils. Since GC has been great in our other 4 vehicles, I would like to think it is the best choice for the 3.2.

Didn't Hondacura switch to 5w-20 in 2001? Two years ago, I might have said something else, but I think from the UOA we've been seeing on these lighter oils, in engines meant for them, there's just no need for the GC. Botox is a great drug if you've got wrinkles you want to relax, but if you've got a badly infected cut, you need a proper antibiotic. Using GC in this engine may well be like treating an infected cut with Botox -- good drug, wrong application.

quote:

Originally posted by stumpman:
Both the owners manual and the oil filler cap call for 5W-30 SJ.

In that case, why not give it a try. I've run GC in three vehicles, a 3.0L V-6 Camry, a 4.7L V-8 Sequoia, and my 3.5L G35 sedan. While this oil isn't a good fit for every car out there, I've had extremely good results.

I'm running GC in my '99 Accord with the 2.3 litre I-4. The owner's manual states that 5w-30 is preferrable and 10w-30 is OK above 20 degrees F. Some Honda folks have complained that gas mileage and power decreased with GC. I have found that there has been no power loss and my mileage improved to 35 MPG on the highway, which is higher than the stated EPA mileage. The engine also runs a lot more smoothly and quietly. I'm sold and, unless something catastrophic happens, I will only use GC in my '99. I am sticking with PP or M1 5w-20 in my 2003 Accord, however because it specifies 5w-20 and it runs very well. The '99 and the '03 have completely different engine designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back