Is GC still a SL rated oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I ask is that today I purchased 4 litres of GC at Canadian Tire (it was on sale for $7.49/litre, $9.99 reg price) and they were all SL rated on the shelf. I'm thinking it is probably old stock because the 5W40, 5W30, and others were all SM rated. Or did the GC stay at the SL rating?

Thanks. I didn't know that SL is still a current spec. I thought all oils had gone to SM. Either way, it doesn't matter, great oil at a good price.

I have almost 30 qts of GC in my garage (3-4 '08, rest '09) and they are ALL rated API SL. Same applies to the M1 10w40 HM sitting right next to it.

According to Castrol website, GC meets all engine protection requirements of API SM.

Below is a copy and paste from Castrol's site (with the section referencing API bolded by me):

SAE 0W–30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W–30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W–30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low–temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to –40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL–01; GM–LLA–025, GM–LL–B–025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
According to Castrol website, GC meets all engine protection requirements of API SM.

Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: momomeister
Below is a copy and paste from Castrol's site (with the section referencing API bolded by me):

SAE 0W–30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W–30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W–30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low–temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to –40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL–01; GM–LLA–025, GM–LL–B–025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

So, according to this, GC does not meet the requirements of SM. This is a good thing, in my opinion. Matter of fact, I am presently using M1 10W30 HM in my Pathfinder because it is still SL rated and has a stronger add- package than regular SM Mobil 1.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. German Castrol ONLY meets the "engine protection requirements" of API SM, but it does not meet the emissions component of SM. Therefore it is NOT SM approved.

And yes, I too prefer an SL rated oil if available over SM for the extra anti-wear additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back