Is GC known by other names in overseas market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short of taking a long distance flight to USA to buy GC from AZ outlets, how can I get hold of this devilish brew direct from my local Castrol distributor? Is there a product code that I can refer to?

It's know outside North America as "Castrol SLX" - it's also available overseas in several different versions, such as SLX Longtec, SLX Longlife, etc.

It depends on the market....Castrol oils here in Australia are blended and produced in Australia, even though they may have identical specs to the overseas product. Which part of Asia are you from ?

quote:

Originally posted by ducblancpale:
So any SLX 0-30 I see that's made in Germany is definitely the GC?

Not just any SLX 0w-30. As Losiho mentioned, there are many different versions of SLX 0w-30 in Europe and in the world. The one that the US guys call the original green GC was the "Castrol SLX Formula". However, now the GC in the US turned to gold (amber), and we really don't know for sure which version of SLX this is. Some rough VOA comparison would suggest that the gold GC is "Castrol SLX LongTec" in Europe, but no one has done any more in-depth analysis to confirm that.

"Castrol SLX Longlife" is most definitely not the same as GC.

There are also several "Castrol SLX" versions for specific automakers (GM, BMW, Volvo). These are probably not the same as GC either.

So, if you want the original GC, look for "Castrol SLX Formula". It'll probably say "Made in EU" on the label.

Here in Norway the only green SLX is LongLife II 0W-30. SLX Long Tec 0W-30 is gold as all the other SLXs.
Reading the data sheet, it looks like the green SLX has lover flamepoint and higher pour point than the gold one.
Green FP: 200C PP: -45C
Gold FP: >200C PP: -54C

What's the "A1" variety? I've never heard of it before.

Also, I remember comparing specs some time back, LongTec and GM were the same thing.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
What's the "A1" variety? I've never heard of it before.

Also, I remember comparing specs some time back, LongTec and GM were the same thing.

From Castrols website: meets industry standard ACEA A1, recommended for many Ford engines.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
norwegian oil,

Is the original SLX Formula still available over there or has it been replaced by LongTec?

I've been to 3-4 places where they sell Castrol products. I couldn't find the old SLX Formula.

quote:

Originally posted by norwegian oil:
Here in Norway the only green SLX is LongLife II 0W-30. SLX Long Tec 0W-30 is gold as all the other SLXs.

My bad! SLX A1 is also green.
Data sheet: FP: 230C PP:-57C
These are the Castrol SLX oils on sale here:
Castrol Formula SLX A1 - GREEN
Castrol Formula SLX GM - GOLD (rav - yellow)
Castrol Formula SLX Long Tec 0W-30 - GOLD (rav)
Castrol Formula SLX LL01 FE 0W-30 - GOLD (rav)
Castrol Formula SLX Longlife II 0W-30 - GREEN
Castrol Formula SLX R-Tec 0W-3 - GOLD (rav)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back