is GC better suit for winter or summer use

Status
Not open for further replies.
i planning to put GC in my Acura TSX, which is a 2.4L engine. Will GC provide any better protection in winter driving than thinner oil like M1 5w-30? i do not redline the engine, and often 1 out of 5 out is short trip by my wife in 10miles?
thanks.

i believe so, lots post show GC is a bit thick. While i was thicking that may offer better protection many short trip in winter. am i on the right track?

my car is 2004 BMW x3. I just change my oil from BMW 5w30 to GC last month. Im from Chicago, so we are experiencing 8-20 dgrees Fahrenheit. I also stock 7 qts of castrol BELGIUM 5w40 for the summmer next year. My car is still under warrenty w/c is 15k OCI by the dealer using their BMW own 5w30. Im planning to do my OCI at every 7500 using castrol 0w30 for the winter and 5w40 for the summer. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

orics

quote:

i do not redline the engine

That's sacrilegious treatment for a Honda/Acura 4-cylinder engine!
cheers.gif

Orics. Thats what I did with my Bimmer.
I ran 5w40 BC this summer and then I switched
to GC in November a few weeks before I put the
car in storage. I don't know what I'm going to
do next summer though. I have a stash of 24
bottles of the green GC which will last me
another four years. I only put about 7000 km
(4200 mi) per year in my BMW so I only change
once a year. Doing your OCI at 7500 mi or 6
months is best. Do not go the full 15000 mi.
PS. Orics, what grade does your owners manual
recommend? My manual for my 2000 328i recommends
5w30 but I can use any xW30/40/50 grade with x
being 0 or 5 weight and also 10W30/40/50 oils
in the summer months.
cheers.gif

Speaking of GC...My driving style is semi aggressive and I do drive alot of city/short trips....Will I benefit from GC? I have a vq35de in a nissan maxima...according to the european FSM, the vq35de calls for 20w50...over here its 5w30...a few owners have confirmed the VQ35 loves thick oils....

I just want to know if GC (or any thick oil in general) will do good or harm in driving styles that are short tripped/city miles...and why?

quote:

You may lose some MPG and gain no more protection over M1. Why would you not use M1 5w30?

And Mobile 1 we'll gain no protection over a 5w30 dino with short OCI.

quote:

Originally posted by gogozy:
i planning to put GC in my Acura TSX, which is a 2.4L engine. Will GC provide any better protection in winter driving than thinner oil like M1 5w-30? i do not redline the engine, and often 1 out of 5 out is short trip by my wife in 10miles?
thanks.

Given your criteria, I'd probably just stick with M1 5w-30. Honda's and Acura's seem to perform well on the "thinner" 30-weight oils as most are spec'd for a Xw-20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back