Is GC 0W-30 right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '04 Chevy Cavalier, Ecotec 2.2L. The owner's manual and oil cap say use 5W-30; owner's manual says it's ok to use 10W30 in the summer, or 0W30 when it's extremely cold, but says 5W-30 is best for the engine.

Ok, so I've never been one to question the manufacturer's recommendation as far as weight goes. However, the only GC I can find locally is 0W-30.

1) Am I better off using the GC 0W-30 or a non-GC but nevertheless good 5W-30?
2) What are the consequences of using 10W30 or 0W30 in my engine right before the onset of an Oklahoma (read: hot) summer?

You are fine with GC...and remember GC only exists as a 0W-30...no other Syntec grades are GC.

GG 0W-30, at 12.1 cSt, is at the heavy end of the SAE 30 grade and is certainly a good multi-viscosity choice for hot summer temps.

At start-up temperatures above 30-40 degress F, GC is thicker than the majority of synthetic & dino 5W-30's.

As far as an oil for summertime use in Oklahoma, I'd select a 10W-30, or GC 0W-30, over a 5W-30, as the lighter base oils typical of 5W-30 formulations have more volatility or burn-off problems with hot, summer temps.

quote:

Originally posted by lycurgus:
Is anyone willing to play devil's advocate on this?

Absolutely not. My wife's 2002 Alero has this same engine in it and GC showed roughly half the wear when compared with Mobil1 5W-30 and 10W-30 over the same drain period.

GC is an excellent oil for this engine (among many others)

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll be picking up a couple of changes worth of GC at Autozone in about 2,000 miles. I will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back