Is Fram Ultra The Official Go To Bitog Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
for years purolater was the filter of choice here on Bitog Now it seems to be fram ultra. Whats up with that i remember not to long ago fram was not so highly regarded around here. I know they have different quality filters but in general purolater was the one most used because of quality and price.
What about wix that is a good filter also but its harder to find and the places that carry it are usually high priced auto parts stores.

I have made the switch...

amazon's subscribe and save pricing came out to about 5 bucks even with shipping so its comparable to p1 and others that arent overpriced.

If i get a car thats under warranty i'd just do OEM for sake of warranty being honnored.
I never buy used cars, only certified used. who knows what happened to the car from factory until I take it home.

Last edited:
FU BITOG Official? No. Good filter? By all accounts, yes.

I use Amsoil filters and plan to continue to do so unless I get a Subaru, then it'll be OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Not for years. The Ultra was introduced not all that long ago.

The Fram Extended Guard has been a good filter for a long time. AFAIK, the new Ultra is nothing more than a re-take Extended Guard.

The only Fram filter I remember reading hate for was the OCOD. Other Fram filters were only seen as too expensive compared to competitors... Like P1

Nope. The first and last Fram I used, I had to take off early... engine was making so much racket at start up.

I learned my lesson with Fram. No more.

I'm still using Puro Classics and Pure Ones after cutting several open, and they've all been perfectly fine. Starting to think we have some clumsy people when they cut open filters.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

The Fram Extended Guard has been a good filter for a long time. AFAIK, the new Ultra is nothing more than a re-take Extended Guard.

The Ultra is the next generation improved Xtended Guard with higher efficiency and a longer rated FCI. Very good construction, 99%+ efficiency at or greater than 20 microns and 15K mile use ratings are pretty lofty and hard to match. Price is very reasonable too, so people are realizing the Ultra is a good choice.

There is no official "go to" BITOG oil filter just as there is no official "go to" BITOG oil. There are so many choices out there and so many personal preferences that there's no way in heck this board will reach a consensus.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Nope. The first and last Fram I used, I had to take off early... engine was making so much racket at start up.

I learned my lesson with Fram. No more.

I'm still using Puro Classics and Pure Ones after cutting several open, and they've all been perfectly fine. Starting to think we have some clumsy people when they cut open filters.

Two things. Good example how a bad experience 20 years ago with brand X caused a bias that will never change.

Sure, all the torn media cases reported here were all staged by Fram lovers to make Purolator look bad. Time to go make a bigger tin foil hat. LOL
whistle.gif

It's just that there are more people here now who push "their brand". Look through oil filter posts and you can usually see the same people recommending Fram Ultra. Why do we need a Fram Ultra mention in an Amsoil filter dissection thread?

Some people decide what they are using must be the best and try to push their choice like gospel.

For me it's Mobil 1 filter for my V8 4Runner and NAPA Gold for my 84 Civic (there's no Mobil 1 sourced for the Civic).

I've always wondered by so many people that use Mobil 1 oil don't use the Mobil 1 oil filter.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
It's just that there are more people here now who push "their brand". Look through oil filter posts and you can usually see the same people recommending Fram Ultra. Why do we need a Fram Ultra mention in an Amsoil filter dissection thread?

Some people decide what they are using must be the best and try to push their choice like gospel.

People mention oil filters that they personally think are good for certain reasons they have formulated in their mind. Just so happens some filters are seen as very good by members here solely based on their physical construction, reliability, filtering performance, and mileage use rating ... and of course price and availability. Regardless of the color of the can or the brand name on the side.

When comparing the things that an oil filter is supposed to do, the Ultra shows up near the top of that list - along with many other good choices. People notice what makes up a good filter and so it gives them a way to rate filters, and see that the Ultra is good "bang for the buck" oil filter. People can do what they want ... but they shouldn't feel like anyone is "pusing" a certain filter on them. If they feel that way, then maybe they shouldn't read this forum.

what ever is on sale, never lost an engine due to oil filter failure, cant tell you how many different kinds of oil filters have been on my 2005 Buick,,,,,,,,,,lots I guess.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

The only Fram filter I remember reading hate for was the OCOD. Other Fram filters were only seen as too expensive compared to competitors... Like P1

I have an Extended Guard in my stash right now. I do not know when I will use it, though. I got it in about 2011.

Time keeps rolling by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back