Is Ford OCI now 1 year 10,000 Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to a (new) ford tech and he said ford says their motorcraft filters are good for 1 yr. 10,000 miles is this true on some fords. I thought they were 6 month 7500 miles max.

Yup. I think it switched in 2011 or so with their IOLM. My 2010 Taurus is 7500 miles/6 mo and the 2011 F150 is 10000 miles/1 yr.

Last edited:
Is the 10,000 mile interval with Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil, and can the synblend last that long?

Last edited:
I do 10K OCIs with MC filters with Fords. However if you plan to do that I would step up to a quality synthetic oil and not a blend. IMO.

You should make it nicely in a Ford just past the 5 year warranty.

16,000 Kms is way too long for an OCI.

My car is 4 years of ownership and it would only be coming up for it's THIRD oil change?

No thanks, oil isn't that expensive.

My 2014 Explorer's iOLM would agree with that interval. At 9,245, the oil still had life in it so 1 year/10K is certainly possible on my Ford.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
My 2014 Explorer's iOLM would agree with that interval. At 9,245, the oil still had life in it so 1 year/10K is certainly possible on my Ford.

Well, assuming Ford has the IOLM algorithm right.

I just have a hard time with Ford concluding a 10k interval is right for everything from a normally-aspirated, port injected 2.5l engine to a direct-injected, turbocharged 1.6l. And, as far as I know, Ford is the only major manufacturer claiming a 10k interval is OK on a DI/turbocharged engine using a conventional oil (almost all conventionals meet Ford's spec). As others have said, this regimen will likely get throught the warranty period, but beyond that...?

Originally Posted By: Danh

I just have a hard time with Ford concluding a 10k interval is right for everything from a normally-aspirated, port injected 2.5l engine to a direct-injected, turbocharged 1.6l. And, as far as I know, Ford is the only major manufacturer claiming a 10k interval is OK on a DI/turbocharged engine using a conventional oil (almost all conventionals meet Ford's spec). As others have said, this regimen will likely get throught the warranty period, but beyond that...?

Where is Ford making that claim? I've certainly never seen it in print. There's an OLM in the cars from 2011 on that can go "up to" 10K miles, which is actually less than most cars equipped w/an OLM? Prior to that, they said 7,500K miles. So, I'm not really sure I get all of the hand-wringing on this one.

They've obviously said that their filters are good for "up to 10K" as well, and based on my own experience the 820S at least can go twice that long without problems. So, 10K on a Motorcraft filter on a maintained engine doesn't seem close to the edge, at all.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Where is Ford making that claim? I've certainly never seen it in print. There's an OLM in the cars from 2011 on that can go "up to" 10K miles, which is actually less than most cars equipped w/an OLM? Prior to that, they said 7,500K miles. So, I'm not really sure I get all of the hand-wringing on this one.

They've obviously said that their filters are good for "up to 10K" as well, and based on my own experience the 820S at least can go twice that long without problems. So, 10K on a Motorcraft filter on a maintained engine doesn't seem close to the edge, at all.

My 2012 Focus manual says the IOLM will require an oil change:
"7,500-10,000 miles - normal commuting with highway driving, no or moderate load/towing, flat to moderately hilly roads, no extended idling.". In other words, pretty much how most are driven. And I bet all current Ford manuals for all engines say the same thing.

In the Ford Focus community, 10k seems a typical trigger point for IOLM followers.

My comments were not about the oil filter, which I don't doubt can handle 10k. It was about the interval generally.

Originally Posted By: JOD

My 2012 Focus manual says the IOLM will require an oil change:
"7,500-10,000 miles - normal commuting with highway driving, no or moderate load/towing, flat to moderately hilly roads, no extended idling.". In other words, pretty much how most are driven. And I bet all current Ford manuals for all engines say the same thing.

In the Ford Focus community, 10k seems a typical trigger point for IOLM followers.

My comments were not about the oil filter, which I don't doubt can handle 10k. It was about the interval generally.

Yeah, but that's not a mileage requirement (like the older Fords that just use a countdown timer), it's still an "intelligent" OLM based on operating conditions. If it's triggering for most folks at 10K, then I imagine that's because that interval is suitable for their driving conditions. And again, keep in mind that it's capped at 10K or 1 year, which (at least in terms of mileage) is a lot more conservative than most OLM's.

How many UOA's are there on this site where oil that has gone 10K isn't suitable for service? Not saying it can't or doesn't happen, just that it's pretty rare--and I haven't seen any evidence that the Ford OLM has pushed out the OCI too far.

Originally Posted By: M1256
Is the 10,000 mile interval with Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil, and can the synblend last that long?
Yes. That's what Ford puts in at the factory. MC 5W-20 is a very robust oil.

Well, assuming Ford has the IOLM algorithm right. I just have a hard time with Ford concluding a 10k interval is right for everything from a normally-aspirated, port injected 2.5l engine to a direct-injected, turbocharged 1.6l. And, as far as I know, Ford is the only major manufacturer claiming a 10k interval is OK on a DI/turbocharged engine using a conventional oil (almost all conventionals meet Ford's spec). As others have said, this regimen will likely get throught the warranty period, but beyond that...?

I had 2.5 TBN on the UOA and 8% remaining on the iOLM--I think Ford has it right. I cannot speak to what the iOLM projects for a turbo or other application, but I am pretty confident in my setup. I plan to run a few UOAs anyway, so I will know more as time and seasons progress.

Originally Posted By: Falken
You should make it nicely in a Ford just past the 5 year warranty.

16,000 Kms is way too long for an OCI.

My car is 4 years of ownership and it would only be coming up for it's THIRD oil change?

If it's 4 years old, then it should be about ready for it's fourth or fifth oil change, based on the "1 year or 10K miles" statement.

What about the motorcraft filters they are made by purolater are they also tearing like the other purolaters?

I will cut some open when i get some time we always have lots of filters at the shop

^ MC Filters are fine.

To my knowledge folks tracking the Purolator filters have not found any problems with the MC filters, as they have different specifications for construction.

Mileage and chronological limits are predicated on the absence of other data. Oil and filters have no idea how old they are.

If you have good data that suggests longer runs are doable (UOAs, PCs, filter disection, etc) then longer O/FCIs are not a problem. It's NOT a topic nor practice to take on blindly.

If Ford recommends up to 10k miles on the O/FCI for their IOLM systems, you can rest assured they are safe. Not the least of which is attributed to a study they did nearly a decade ago, where 15k miles showed continued reduction of wear (SAE 2007-01-4133).

Those of you who fear longer O/FCIs are free to change more often. It's your money you're wasting, not mine. And most all of the time, it truly is a waste.

BTW, there are plenty of dino lubes that meets Ford's lube specs; been proven and discussed many times before. You don't need a semi- or full syn to achieve these results. You only need a lube qualifed to Ford's spec, of which several dinos can do.

But why let facts and data get in the way of good ol' fassioned rhetoric and mythology ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back