Is English ivy related to Poison ivy?

Was doing yard work last week through a bunch of English ivy. Using a mowers where it spread on the ground and manually pulling it off a block wall it was climbing. Even with wearing gloves and long pants, I've got some itchy rash spots on arms and legs. I didn't notice Poison ivy in the area, so does the English version have similar effects?

The blurb I found said it is a skin irritant.

Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy, and California ivy, Hedera helix contains triterpenoid saponins that, if ingested by pets, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, and diarrhea.

Sounds related enough for me. Thanks for the ask as I'd never heard of the stuff.

I’d bet there was some poison ivy vines mixed in. The leaves aren’t yet out on poison ivy. Just the dormant vine will cause a rash.

My reaction to poison ivy seems to be slowly getting worse. These days I jump in the shower right after doing any yard work that might have me near it. I also try to limit yard work to an hour or so, for that sort of exposure (probably too long but seems to be working for me).

Almost time to start looking for new growth around the yard, and getting ready to spray it.

English ivy contains a lesser irritant than poison ivy. Skin protection is advisable. If you can't cover up all exposed skin use a barrier cream and take a shower after doing yardwork. With poison, taking a shower may spread the oily toxin all over.

Some people are sensitive to English ivy, and some are not. I pull it out by hand without any problems.

Out my way about 2 hours south of Washington, poison ivy down the block started growing leaflets at the end of March, so if Atikovi had had any mixed with the brush, it should have been visible.

Back