is dino enough to be sludge resistant? What happened here

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jafo:
I agree that no one wants to take responsibility for their actions.There is something up with those motors though,we had a big meeting when I worked at lexus regarding possible issues with the es300,rx300 engines and sludge.They basically were very vague and we had to use certain wording when dealing with customers,but they were going to cover any sludge issues.It did seem like the only troubles were from lack of maintenance(oil changes).

Plenty of fault to go around on this. Yep, aggressive maintenance, with synthetics, will usually keep the Toyota sludge monster at bay. I guess the reason that Toyota modified the engine design was so it could better withstand owner neglect??? Of course, it certainly wasn't because there was anything wrong with the engine in the first place. . .
rolleyes.gif

Even if this story is 100% true all it really does is confirm what has been said over and over (and ignored by many) ......there is no single best oil for all engines, drivers, and environments.

If you know you've got an engine prone to sludging then by all means, use Redline, AMSOIL, M1...whatever. If you've got a motor known to go 300K miles no matter what you do to it then why spend the money for synthetic for normal driving needs?

Those pictures show an intersection of the following conditions:

1) People are butt stoopid, careless and abuse their cars.

2) People do not want to take responsibility for their misbehavior.

3) People are easily conditioned into believing that past wrongs they have not been called to task for are not really wrongs ... becasue they got away with them.

4) The sludge prone Toyotas do not put up with abuse like most other cars.

That's an interesting link, tadaima, and thatnks for posting it here but I don't think it proves that the days of the dead dino juice are ... well, dead.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by tadaima:
Well took my valve cover partially off today and this is what I have

http://www.autoxreview.com/sale/camry/

Only thing I noticed after reviewing the pic was that there was some gunk on the valve cover..I think it's just sloppy sealant, hope it doesnt dislodge.

Car has 32K

synthetic since 15K and m1/amsoil/now GC. 5K OCI

Congratulations!!! That's an absurdly clean engine, and you're doing fine. Don't worry about that fleck over on the side of the cover. This is also about how my V-6 looked when its front cover came off at about 25k for the seal repair. Double good for you if it's a 5S-FE (is it?). BTW, for the diehard syn doubters out there, this is also what my 88 Civic looked like when it was ten years old w/ 150k miles, having lived on nothing but M1 since 2k miles. Zero sludge, zero varnish.

That is one clean engine. Are you sure you didn't spray a little brake cleaner in there and wipe everything down? Not only is the engine spotless, but it looks dry too.

Well took my valve cover partially off today and this is what I have

http://www.autoxreview.com/sale/camry/

Only thing I noticed after reviewing the pic was that there was some gunk on the valve cover..I think it's just sloppy sealant, hope it doesnt dislodge.

Car has 32K

synthetic since 15K and m1/amsoil/now GC. 5K OCI

quote:

Did you notice he said the engine was out of oil? I'll bet he never checked it so he was just as much at fault as Toyota.

This says it all. Any engine run out of oil with blow.

Yea it's dry because I drive it once a week during the weekend. (120mi highway trip). Plus I like taking to cover off cold, so I dont have to worry about the VC gasket deforming as much.

Still wonder how that camry got that way. I usuallt don't have to add any top off oil between 0-5K OCI.

It seems that Toyotas have had this problem for a long time. Here's my contribution to this: I had a Toyota Tacoma and was asking the dealer about oil recommendations. He said I had to be careful with what I picked because Toyota has engineered the head to run really hot to help with emissions. It is an uneducated guess, but if all their engines are designed like this, couldnt this be the cause of oil sludging?

quote:

Looks like someone that changed their oil between 3-4K still wasn't good enough to stop the sludge prone 5sfe toyota camry engine.

http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaOwnersU..._Message=452&LastModified=4675419216833304158

That's the site that the crusading, hysterical 5th grade Virginia schoolteacher, Charlene Blake is involved with. She's been banned from several sites (such as Edmund's) and challenges her detractors to prove negatives. (i.e. 'prove that these engines will NOT sludge up')

Nuff' said.

quote:

Hmm so I guess we should all start using 5-40 or 15-50 or something

The issue is not the particular vis, IMO, rather it's thermal stability, which means for the most part, synthetic. Again, this isn't a blind "anti-dino" statement. Having been a BITOG member for all of a month and a half, I'm now much more comfortable that a modern dino is fine for those engines that have not shown a tendency to get unduly hot. In these engines though (or any other with a rep for otherwise unprovoked sludging), I'd say use a syn of (or close to) the recommended grade.

quote:

Hmm so I guess we should all start using 5-40 or 15-50 or something

As I understand it, no. Heavier oil has more resistance to flow. Flow from thinner oil improves cooling. Of course there is a practical limit on how low you can go, so I wouldn't go below a 30W. Redline 5W-20 might work well, but haven't tried and won't without seeing some results first. You're working with two fundamentally conflicting engineering goals: Low viscosity and low volatility at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back