Is DEFY (API SL) okay in a newer car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Impala which requires API SM and GM6094M. I bought QS DEFY on a whim and put it in and then realized it is only API SL. I browsed the previous threads on DEFY and didn't get a straight answer. Is DEFY okay for a newer car with the "as mentioned" oil requirements?

Thanks.

If its outside of warranty I'd just use it. If your car doesnt burn any oil you shouldnt have any problems. Main concern is the high level of ZDDP contaminating your cats but it has to burn oil for it to get into the cats enough to matter.

Last edited:
It *should* be fine.

You might want to cut this OCI short if your really anal. . .

I would stick with spec'ed oil from here on out though.

Absolutely fine. It's likely SL only due to the level of ZDDP (phosphorus more specifically) of which there is a cap on in SM and subsequent API ratings.

ZDDP is quite beneficial as an anti-wear additive but the phosphorus can damage catalytic converters in sufficient quantities.

should be ok

its rated SL because it has extra additives not because its inferior.

and GM6094M isnt very demanding regular conventional oils can meet it. Havoline for example.

so the short answer is should be fine.

Technical answer is no it doesnt meet your specs.

using common sense I would say its fine but I wouldnt go out of my way to use it in the future.

Last edited:
I am always very cautious about anything that uses seal swellers in a newer car, as most "high mileage" oils and fluids seem to have.

I personally wouldn't use it, SL is pretty old spec. as well.

I would only use SM or SN at this point.

My car is out of warranty. I am also getting some oil consumption, clearly burning, not a leak. The oil cap has residue from oil burning, plus not oil spots under my car.

It burns about a quart every 3000 miles. That's why I decided to buy a HM oil. I was just going to get some Max Life instead of the M1 that I normally use. But then I saw the DEFY and the low price and just went with it. Didn't even bother to check the API rating until after it was in my car.

Just wondering if I should dump it and put in a different HM oil that is API SM/SN.

well it does have higher additives that will eat your catalytic converter(s) faster if its burning....

maybe just make this a short run.

what kind of residue tells you its burning oil? Never heard of that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I will keep this oil change to 3000 miles just to be safe. In the meantime, I will try to track down the oil burning issue, could be as simple as the pcv valve.

I will use a SM or SN oil next time. DEFY seemed interesting and I just gave it a whirl. I'll definitely check the API rating next time before trying something new.

The oil cap has black (burnt) residue on it that won't wipe off. I've never had this on any of my other cars ever. Plus, the car consumes about a full quart every 3000 miles and it definitely isn't leaking it. No oil spots under the car. That's why I believe the car is burning the oil off rather than leaking it.

I haven't checked it yet, but will soon. Hopefully it is as simple as that.

it slowed the consumption issue on my '05 Silverado 5.3L from a quart every 1800-2000 miles to a quart every 3500-4000 miles.....but your results may vary
smile.gif
10w-30 flavor

Originally Posted By: BR549
it slowed the consumption issue on my '05 Silverado 5.3L from a quart every 1800-2000 miles to a quart every 3500-4000 miles.....but your results may vary
smile.gif
10w-30 flavor

Since your Silverado is an '05, it too probably takes API SM oil or GM6094M. You have been using DEFY with good luck then?

i would check and change it. 1qt per 3000 is very minor and very normal for some cars. that little bit of usage is actually sometimes an ok thing. i would change the pcv valve though . the defy will not hurt your car at all. keep in mind the certifications are from the govt (basically) it doesn't meet the energy conservation part of it and it has zinc. neither matter much. if you continue to burn oil or my term use it i wouldn't use it but its fine if its in there i would change it at 3k and go to something else . personally i like valvoline they make excellent oil and are a great company. they even help sponsor the school i am at. they're pretty good to the auto industry as a whole.

The Quaker State Defy in SL only comes in the 10w-40 grade.

This weight is way too heavy especially with winter approaching soon. A 10w is too heavy for a 2007 Chevy Impala any time of the year.

IMO....if your in a cool or colder climate.....get it out before the dead of winter sets foot in your territory.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I am always very cautious about anything that uses seal swellers in a newer car, as most "high mileage" oils and fluids seem to have.

I personally wouldn't use it, SL is pretty old spec. as well.

I would only use SM or SN at this point.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
It's a synthetic blend and only meets SL?

Its only SL rated due to high levels of ZDDP and P, which are to high for SM/SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back