Is Cost the Only Reason Not to use OEM Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

So my question is that yes most of the manufacturers sell their own brand of oil at the dealership which we as consumers can go and purchase and DIY the fluid changes. Why dont more people purchase the OEM oils?

Rarely on here do I see it discussed that "OEM X Oil" is just re branded Castrol or whomever actually produced the oil, instead we bicker about minerals and who has the best film strength.

Couldn't it be argued that sticking with the OEM oil (TGMO or BMW Brand Oil) is better for our vehicle in the long run? Maybe we should be asking "Should I use TGMO in my Matrix or not?"

I don't use it because of the cost and because of what I think is better oil available. When I can get Mobil 1 EP 0W20 for my Honda cheaper than Honda oil, it's not even a consideration.

No different than buying any part from the dealer. You can buy an alternator from the dealer or you can buy the literal same Bosch/Denso/whatever alternator from an independent in a different box, typically for much less. Or, you can buy an aftermarket one for even less than that.

If you use manufacturer branded oil or what is recommended by them purchased elsewhere (say something meeting the spec) you are going to save money on the latter 99% of the time and experience no difference in longevity or performance.

I would also consider time, availability, or ease of obtain. While you could likely go to the parts department and pay whatever they charge for their own exact oil and whatever they say goes in it, which does change , perhaps many find it faster and easier to go to a store and purchase the same oil rather than wait to be served by the parts department.

Read the owner's manual. They all effectively say "we recommend our own oil but in all reality, any oil that meets (or exceeds) spec "x" is perfectly okay".

Look at Nissan manuals - for power steering fluid they recommend "Nissan Power Steering Fluid" but "if in Canada, use Dexron XX". Or, even better, the owner's manual for Fusions in Ireland spec "Castrol Magnatec" oil and say "The engine has been designed to be used with Castrol and Ford Engine Oil, which gives a fuel economy benefit while maintaining the durability of the engine".

First off no manufacturer makes their own oil. They put out a bid with their specs on it. Low bid with the specifications and ability to produce enough of it gets the bid. I prefer Pennzoil. I'm sure other people prefer other kinds of oil. I'm also pretty darn sure I can buy exactly what I want cheaper, and a better oil too, than buying from a dealer.

IF you have engine problem and have used oil and filter from dealer there can be a warranty benefit. It is good oil and filters, you can do worse.

Rod

Some of my reasons have been covered already … but I'd add that I think about who I'm doing business with.
The dealer makes money off my purchase and for darn sure off my trade in. Maybe a repair
Walmart is going to get plenty from me since we have little else. So I avoid both OEM and store brands and support vertically integrated oil companies on lubes …
Many act like you just pay for their advertising … but I'm reasonably sure they do more R&D, just flat out know more … and have an array of company products to engineer and blend from …

There are reasons to use OEM house-brand oil, and reasons not to. It depends on what's important to you.

Reasons to use OEM house-brand oil:
1. You know it works in your specific engine. OEM engineers probably used it in stress-test durability testing for your engine.
2. Quality control is good: The oil maker (Shell, Mobil, Castrol, whoever...) knows the OEM engine-maker is watching them. Maybe doing an oil analysis randomly. Big contracts at stake. Better make it consistently good or else.

Reasons NOT to use OEM house-brand oil:
1. Usually costs more.
2. Some of us notice a very long list of oil performance qualifications which should mean an oil is better. Example: Mobil1 ESP 5w30 passes very tough tests from Mercedes, GM, VW, Porsche, & Peugeot, and that is lots of actual engine tests and quality scrutiny. Compare that to OEM house-brand Mercedes 229.52 oil which only carries Mercedes approval. Or, Mazda house-brand which is only SN GF-5, not dexos1 Gen2, which is tougher to acheive and a more complete test set.

In my Lexus GS350 F Sport I use Idemitsu WS equivalent ATF and Red Line in the differential.
In the 3 Nissans I service (friends) I use Valvoline or Castrol Synthetic CVT fluid.

Cuz I believe it's better. And I know it's cheaper.

I don't think have ever bought OEM oil of any kind.

oil_film_movies, There are dealer's around here that I know for sure are NOT using factory installed oil. They buy it from some independent oil dealers.

Originally Posted by oldhp
oil_film_movies, There are dealer's around here that I know for sure are NOT using factory installed oil. They buy it from some independent oil dealers.
Some do, some don't.
The point of this thread is about using AC-Delco oil in a GM, Mazda Genuine oil in a Mazda, BMW TwinPower oil in a BMW, etc.
Engine makers do say you don't have to use the house-brand. But should you? It is the safe bet anyway.
Originally Posted by CR94
Japanese OEM-branded oils tend to be VII-heavy. So if you don't agree with that blending strategy ....
Application dependent. I use Eneos Japanese GroupIII+ oil in an easy-going hybrid engine. Loaded with moly, low KV40, and HTHS propped up to 2.7. I wouldn't use it in, say, a Honda S2000 shear monster.

I don't trust bulk fluids of any kind, you don't really know what you are getting, and any synthetic from Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoiline, Castrol ect, will handle heat better then any OEM oil. The purpose of a car manufacturer is to make money via the sale of new cars, it is not in their best interest to spec a vehicle with fluids that help it last 200-300,000 miles. Doing so makes it more difficult to sell said new vehicles.

How did you come to that conclusion? The OEM oil is likely made by one of the major brands you've listed and in many cases is just a rebranded oil from the major's product line.

Originally Posted by PimTac
How did you come to that conclusion? The OEM oil is likely made by one of the major brands you've listed and in many cases is just a rebranded oil from the major's product line.

+1

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by GZRider
I don't trust bulk fluids of any kind, you don't really know what you are getting, and any synthetic from Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoiline, Castrol ect, will handle heat better then any OEM oil. The purpose of a car manufacturer is to make money via the sale of new cars, it is not in their best interest to spec a vehicle with fluids that help it last 200-300,000 miles. Doing so makes it more difficult to sell said new vehicles.

Exactly what I was thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back