Is college worth the cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonite (8.27.06) on the Fox News Channel there is a special that all Bitogers with teens should watch. Its on at 8:00PM EST and the authority on this subject ANNA KAMENENTZ is one of the guests. It may help you and your children avoid a mountain of useless DEBT.

You're kidding, right?
shocked.gif

But I'm going to watch it anyways just to see what she has to say.

Best way to avoid college debt. Vasectomy. If it is too late for that the United states Marine Corps can season the kid before school.

I simply don't think it is worth it for a parent to pay for college for their kids. I think it's worth it for the Kids to figure out how they are going to pay for it. All of the sudden the classes are more valuable.

Sorry kids
Article

I respect your position, but if everyone in society had the same mentality (vasectomy), then we'd have some problems.
tongue.gif

What? Less starvation, Less pollution, less traffic? Most the problems in the world can be attributed to overpopulation and excessive density. Mankind is not really a problem, to much of him is.
There will always be enough breeders to produce a fine and affordable labor force however.
You can believe that or feed yourself to the machine.

That being said I can almost garauntee you that a vasectomy will yield you a better retirement than a 4 year degree.
lol.gif
Both would be best

"I respect your position, but if everyone in society had the same mentality (vasectomy), then we'd have some problems.)"

I have to agree. While children may not be for everyone, they are a necessity. As far as college costs, there are a lot of scholarships available, but, the children needs the parents help to foster good study habits and discipline.

Just with my grants for this year all I will have to purchase are my books. The government paied around 8k of my tuition this year; leaving me with about 4-5 hundred in books to buy. Not too bad considering how much I could be paying.

A deer can be trained to go to a feeder at a certain time each day. The deer does not know that it may pay for it's free meals with it's life. There is no such thing as a handout with no strings.

There are many scholarships out there (small ones) that are strings free, it's just that the application process is a pain.
tongue.gif

Something is worth what one is willing to pay.

Not sure what you can do these days without that piece of paper? It's not worth $100k for 4 years though, unless it's Harvard or Princeton. In today's service oriented economy, it's a must I'd say. We have no manufacturing base anymore.

Of course some of the conservatives on this site I'm sure think all the debt is no big deal and things are great. It's just the spoiled youth of America making poor decisions.
rolleyes.gif
thumbsdown.gif

I for one am 6 credit hours away from getting my degree, knowing full well I likely won't go into the accounting field (which my degree is in). I, from the onset, wanted to go to automotive tech school or other vocational school, but since I had a 3.9 GPA in highschool and was great at math, my parents insisted on me getting my degree. Worst decision in the world! Thankfully, I'm not in debt because of it.

I've talked to many of my professors about this and they agree that way too many kids are pushed into college that don't need, nor want to be there. One of my best accounting professors told me he'd be an auto mechanic (hmmmm, there is a HUGE shortage of them) and would have never gone to college if his parents would have let him. Simply put, college IS NOT for everyone.

Now, LEARNING is for sure! The vast majority of US college students do not know what date the US declared it's independance. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

On the other hand, one of my uncles and many family friends do not have college degrees, yet they know more about the world, history, life and what makes the world go round than I'll ever get from college. Self taught I guess is the term.

College these days is basically a joke, a day care for 18 to 22 year olds. If you study a little and are a good test taker like me, you'll excel without really learning much other than your major area.

Hear Hear to Drew! Your basic auto mechanic will make more than the accountant but that's not all. If you enjoy what you do it is much more rewarding.
There are careers I would find more rewarding making less than I do now if I can untangle myself from this consumerism web I got caught in.
You can present a degree or profesional certificate and get a position(sometimes)but you can't fake enthusiasm forever.

I hear ya Bryan....many careers I find more interesting that what I'm doing now. The problem is trying to make the transition!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I hear ya Bryan....many careers I find more interesting that what I'm doing now. The problem is trying to make the transition!
cheers.gif

Try making the transition from one career to another when you haven't even STARTED the first one!!!
lol.gif
That's the boat I'm in.

I should have gone into meteorology from the start, which is where I'd like to go now. But it's like the commercial aviation industry. For ever job out there, there's about 10,000 people qualified who want it.

Drew I've always been told by everyone who knows me that I should have been a meteorologist. It's funny you said that....I'd have to go back to school and take quite a few physics/math classes.

Bartending school isn't worth it, but a degree in philosophy won't get you a better entry level job.

Prepare for a life of education and re-education if you want to have some financial success.

Tuning out with your ipod won't do you much good.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Drew I've always been told by everyone who knows me that I should have been a meteorologist. It's funny you said that....I'd have to go back to school and take quite a few physics/math classes.

hehe, I know you're the only one who appreciates my tornado footage
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
There are many scholarships out there (small ones) that are strings free, it's just that the application process is a pain.
tongue.gif

For everybody
confused.gif

Quite a few of those scholarships are reductions in rediculous tuition rates of private schools. Any private school that accepts you will figure a way to allow you to attend. That's why they charge $25k+ a year so they can be so generous to keep full. If they have plenty of people that can afford to be there ...no scholarships. Not enough ..plenty.

Don't kid yourself. See how many scholarships are handed out at state schools against state tuitions and you'll get an idea of the reality of that myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back