Is Chevron Supreme Synthetic a PAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you check out the NC Procurement post here, it appears that Chevron Supreme Synthetic is a PAO. In comparison, some Royal Purple and Amsoil oils are listed as being Group III (the Amsoil XL7500, I believe that it is called).

Personally, I have never been able to find Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-30 oil. I can find only the Chevron Supreme Synthetic 10W-30. I was going to use Chevron 5W-30 synthetic in my car but could not find it (I was going to use it because Chevron Supreme conventional did so well).

At the checker Auto Parts Store where I can find Chevron Supreme Synthetic 10W-30, it sells for about $3.00 a quart. If this Chevron synthetic oil is really a PAO, then here is a PAO oil selling for close to $2.00 less a quart then Mobil 1.

quote:

Chevron Supreme 100% Synthetic 15W-50 Motor Oil.......... It meets API SJ and the demanding ACEA European Oil Sequences A3 and B3.

hear-say: arent only group 4 and above suppose to be able to meet A3?

Read the MSDS, people! It says:

"SYNTHETIC HYDROCARBON BASE OIL
Chemical Name: 1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER, HYDROGENATED
CAS68037014 > 55.00%NONE NA

OR [emphasis mine]

ISOSYN BASE OILS"

The first indicates Group IV (PAO) base stocks, and the second indicates Group III base stocks. The "OR" indicates you won't find both in the same production run, but, short of analysis, you won't know which you got, either. That "> 55%" synthetic base stock may suggest that the additive carrier stock may be conventional dino. With a loose presumption that the finished oil is around 20% additive, then the carrier oil stock may be around 25%, max. But this is just a Kentucky windage guestimate on my part. (It would be nice if the additive carrier stock is at least a Group III, though.)

Christopher Wise and others, I think the implication of this procurement is clear. The Amsoil and RP listed are Group III base oils.

Also clearly implied is that the Chevron 5W30 is a Group IV and/or V ... but can we really trust that procurement to be accurate? And if so, for how long?
confused.gif

Heck, I am surprised that a state procurement would get so specific and technical. I find it funny that they distinguish between Group III and the other real synthetics, though. I wonder why that's the case if the difference doesn't matter as some suggest?
wink.gif

" Synthetic lubes are like every other manufactured product - you generally get what you pay for."

Um, unless you pay $5 per quart retail for a Group III pretender.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Hold it some more,

Please check my follow-up to the previous string.

There seems to be a Chevron Group III oil being made as well as a PAO/Ester one.

I sounds like the 5W30 is Grp 4/5, while the ISO-SYN line is Grp III. At least my conclusion for now
smile.gif

Another point from the procurment document was the omission of Mobil 1 from the engine oil list. M1 is listed as an approved ATF however?

Perhaps they [NC] figures for the price Chevron PAO-SYNTHETIC is much more cost effective than 4.50+/qt M1?

gwahahaha.

I will continue my research on this interesting string-

Well, thanks to advice from pepper32, I was able to locate Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-30 at a Chevron bulk plant. It comes in a gray bottle and it meets SL/CF, ILSAC GF-3, GM 4718M (Corvette), ACEA-A1-98, and JASO valve train wear. It does not say anything on the container about ISOSYN, like on conventional Chevron Supreme. It comes in six bottle cases. When you take into account that you get six bottles, it costs probably about $4.00 a quart, cheaper then Mobil 1. I am going to use this oil this winter. If it is a PAO, it should flow pretty good. Depending on how it runs in my engine, I may stay with it throughout the year, or use it only in the wintertime and use conventional Chevron Supreme in the warmer months. Another option is Chevron Supreme Synthetic 10W-30 for the summertime, and the woman at the Chevron bulk plant told me it costs the same as the 5W-30. I don't know if it is available in other weights-I didn't ask. It should be available also in say 10W-40, 15W-40, or 20W-50 weights.

I also did not ask about Delo, but it should be possible to get that oil at these Chevron bulk plant sources.

A while back (months ago) I emailed Chevron about their Chevron Supreme 10W-30 Synthetic. I was using this oil in my 1998 Accord that I sold last month. The Chevron technician that responded said that particular series of oils were made with group III technology. I will see if I can find that e-mail...it might be on my home computer.

Like Jakebrake I also emailed Chevron a while back (six months or so ago). I emailed to inquire if the Chevron Supreme Series was PAO or Group III.

I got a nice response that said all grades were Group III EXCEPT the 0W30 Arctic oil which was PAO. I have never seen the 0W30 Arctic oil and my local Chevron distributor says it doesn't show up in her books.

I do have some Chevron Texaco Havoline full synthetic. I would think this is the same Group III stuff. Advance Auto carries this oil for $3 qt.

I've got one analysis of the Supreme Synthetic 5W-40, but it really is not representative. It was a first change, and has about 300 ppm of magnesioum from a previous oil, plus the air filter was perforated and it has a lot of silicon. intake was filty. Also has traces of sodium we are trying to track down.

"It sounds like the 5W30 is Grp 4/5, while the ISO-SYN line is Grp III."

The $1.08 per quart Chevron Supreme? That stuff should be a Group II+ base oil.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher R. Wise:

quote:

Originally posted by RavenTai:

quote:

Chevron Supreme 100% Synthetic 15W-50 Motor Oil.......... It meets API SJ and the demanding ACEA European Oil Sequences A3 and B3.

hear-say: arent only group 4 and above suppose to be able to meet A3?

Schaeffers is a blend and meets A3-02, so your answer is no.

CRW

thank you
smile.gif

A state probably has the resources to check out motor oils, and in that NC Procurement post the Chevron 5W-30 is listed as the only Group IV or V motor oil. IT IS LISTED AS A GROUP IV OR GROUP V MOTOR OIL! In comparison, the Royal Purple and Amsoil motor oils are listed as Group III. I am sure that they are talking about Royal Purple for ordinary vehicles and Amsoil XL7500.

So unless a state is wrong, Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-30 is a synthetic motor oil.

And if Chevron synthetic is a PAO, then it is a PAO oil selling for considerably less then Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
If you check out the NC Procurement post here, it appears that Chevron Supreme Synthetic is a PAO. In comparison, some Royal Purple and Amsoil oils are listed as being Group III (the Amsoil XL7500, I believe that it is called).

It does not say that RP is group III,it says,
quote:

Category 2 .. Synthetic Motor Oil, Group III base allowed

it says it is allowed, not that the following are GIII,

Now we already kow that XL7500 is GIII.

CRW

And nobody at this web site, so far as I know, has ever posted a UOA (or a VOA for that matter) on Chevron Supreme Synthetic motor oil.

We may have a PAO oil selling for $3.00 a quart that nobody even knows about. Unless a state is wrong in its procurement requirments.

Personally myself, I was going to use chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-30, but I was unable to find it. I had been very impressed with Chevron Supreme conventional motor oil.

Mystic,

The Chevron 5w-30 may indeed be a PAO based oil, however it only has a TBN of 9.0, using the less conservative "ASTM D-2896" method.

In laymens terms the additive package isn't nearly as robust as Mobil 1, et al. The top tier synthetics have TBN's in the 11-13 range when tested using ASTM D-2896. This makes them much more suitable for long drain intervals, even underr severe driving conditions.

Synthetic lubes are like every other manufactured product - you generally get what you pay for.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Christopher Wise and others, I think the implication of this procurement is clear. The Amsoil and RP listed are Group III base oils.

--- Bror Jace

Just had it comfirmed by RP

RP street oils contains mostly PAO, with a small percentage di-ester and mineral oil as carriers.

So that would make RP Group IV & V & mineral oil( not sure which)

So it is not a group III.

CRW
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back