Is Castrol still one of the best anti LSPI formulas?

It would have to be SN Plus to have the LSPI formulation. What's the bottle say ... just SN or SN Plus?

As others have mentioned, API SP is good for LSPI applications.
Just SN, the virgin UOA shows a ton of calcium as well.

I've asked this question in the past, and was told to stick with Castrol for the best LSPI control. Has anything changed in the last year and a half in that regard? I'm going to do my pre cold weather change soon and need to pick an oil, or just stick with what I've been using.

My main concern is my Cruze with the newer 1.4T that is VERY LSPI prone. I do have an aftermarket tune from Trifecta so I'm running a few PSI more boost than stock, picking up around 40hp or so. I do strict changes between 3 - 5k depending on what I have coming up, season, and if I've been short tripping or not. I've been running the Castrol EP 5w30, since its only a few dollars more than regular Edge.

Can anyone do what Castrol EP does better, in my situation?
I believe the answer to your query is PP Euro 0W-40!

Reactions: SR5
I thought the recommendation from GM was to use a low calcium engine oil...the recommend Mobil (not necessarily or only Mobil 1) for this reason...

I've been using Mobil 1 (the regular 5W-30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 version) along with super unleaded (93 octane Costco Top Tier) since she bought her 2013 Malibu with the 2.0 turbo engine...if there is something better to use to minimize LSPI I'd like to hear it...

Bill

My brother wrecked a piston due to LSPI using M1 in his 2018 Cruze turbo. Had 6500 miles on it at time. I believe he was using 87 oct though.

The pricing for SS is crazy though. I'd have to extend my intervals to make that work.

How do you acquire your oil from them? I don't have any local dealers near me.
I use Amsoil products but I don't think you need anything more than a 5w30 SP Dexos approved oil or a 0w40 grade Castrol or Mobil1.

My main concern is my Cruze with the newer 1.4T that is VERY LSPI prone. I do have an aftermarket tune from Trifecta so I'm running a few PSI more boost than stock
i guess it was not worth it.

how do you know it has been lspi? these events are very strong, can crack pistons.

207-Tech-LSPI-006-chart.png

i guess it was not worth it.

how do you know it has been lspi? these events are very strong, can crack pistons.
Google 'Cruze cracked piston'. It's more preventative than anything.

I've only had one "event" I could detect when I first got the car merging. I heard a fairly loud crackle and an immediate loss of power. I've moved to 93 octane fuel and tuned since then and haven't had one since. When I got the car, I believe it was still just SN and not SN+ oil as well since it was 2017. Didn't see SN+ on shelves until early 2018. Dealer for sure sent me home with a tank of 87 octane.

Last edited:
Back