Is Castrol still one of the best anti LSPI formulas?

I've asked this question in the past, and was told to stick with Castrol for the best LSPI control. Has anything changed in the last year and a half in that regard? I'm going to do my pre cold weather change soon and need to pick an oil, or just stick with what I've been using.

My main concern is my Cruze with the newer 1.4T that is VERY LSPI prone. I do have an aftermarket tune from Trifecta so I'm running a few PSI more boost than stock, picking up around 40hp or so. I do strict changes between 3 - 5k depending on what I have coming up, season, and if I've been short tripping or not. I've been running the Castrol EP 5w30, since its only a few dollars more than regular Edge.

Can anyone do what Castrol EP does better, in my situation?

Last edited:
What makes Castrol EP better ?
I was told it had lower NOACK and appropriate additive package to resist LSPI and valve deposits. This was back I wanna say regular SN days. I was told the same about a year and a half ago (SP), but the thread didn't get much traction. I kept using it since no one chimed in with anything except what they ran. I guess I was seeking a more technical response but let it go.

Last edited:
I was told it had lower NOACK and appropriate additive package to resist LSPI and valve deposits. This was back I wanna say regular SN days. I was told the same about a year and a half ago, but the thread didn't get much traction. I kept using it since no one chimed in with anything except what they ran. I guess I was seeking a more technical response, I'm not sure.
Todays oils with the SP ratings are the best the industry has to offer as far as lspi goes. Look at the uoas and voas of the SN+ and the SP oils. Mobil 1 oils have had low lspi oils additive packages. For at least 5 years +

Last edited:
Todays oils with the SP ratings are the best the industry has to offer as far as lspi goes. Look at the uoas and voas of the SN+ and the SP oils.
And there are dozens of SP rated oil on the market. No reason to pick Castrol or any other over the rest. So that leaves price. Pick an oil with the required rating and then buy on price.

Todays oils with the SP ratings are the best the industry has to offer as far as lspi goes. Look at the uoas and voas of the SN+ and the SP oils. Mobil 1 oils have had low lspi oils additive packages. For at least 5 years +
I've been keen on M1 since they seem to be ahead of the curve on the requirements for modern engines. Maybe I'll do M1 EP.

And there are dozens of SP rated oil on the market. No reason to pick Castrol or any other over the rest. So that leaves price. Pick an oil with the required rating and then buy on price.
I don't mind spending a few dollars.

I am a big believer in run what your OEM requirements are. In this situation I was just curious if anyone had an outstanding product in this particular category.

We run Edge 0/40 in the '16 Honda 1.5T 70k now..Edge 0/40 has lower Ca increased Mg to fight LSPI.

We run Edge 0/40 in the '16 Honda 1.5T 70k now..Edge 0/40 has lower Ca increased Mg to fight LSPI.
I've been thinking about a 0w40 oil since I do have some fuel dilution and I'm making a bit more power now. I get nervous when I don't see the Dexos1 label even though my warranty is gone.

Castrol Edge 0w40 has Porsche a40 and MB 229.5 approval... Well tougher than Dexos approval.

Noack needed for Dexos less than 13 percent.

MB 229.5 less than 10 percent.

Castrol Edge 0w40 has Porsche a40 and MB 229.5 approval... Well tougher than Dexos approval.

Noack needed for Dexos less than 13 percent.

MB 229.5 less than 10 percent.
Any concern about it only having API SN or the add pack itself? I assume its SN because of the weight?

Last edited:
I persoanlly run amsoil ss in mine. I have a 19 and its trifecta tuned, mamba wga, gfb bpv, gmpp intake, full catless exhaust. The current oil specs allow up to 3 lspi events. Amsoil is the only oil that promotes 100% lspi protection. I run the ss for 7-9k whenever the olm gets to 0%.

I persoanlly run amsoil ss in mine. I have a 19 and its trifecta tuned, mamba wga, gfb bpv, gmpp intake, full catless exhaust. The current oil specs allow up to 3 lspi events. Amsoil is the only oil that promotes 100% lspi protection. I run the ss for 7-9k whenever the olm gets to 0%.
I didn't know this. I've always skipped Amsoil because of price / availability. I'll take a look at what they offer.

I didn't know this. I've always skipped Amsoil because of price / availability. I'll take a look at what they offer.
Trifecta recommends it if you ask. Strictly due to how lspi prone these engines are and amsoils 100% protection. I run 5w20 in mine. They changed nothing to change the spec from 5/30 to 0/20. They did it for cafe brownie points. Thinner oil does provide better fuel economy and more hp. You have a 17 you said? 18+ came factory with the revised pistons with stronger ringlands and skirts. If yours ever got a rebuild they would use 18+ pistons.

Trifecta recommends it if you ask. Strictly due to how lspi prone these engines are and amsoils 100% protection. I run 5w20 in mine. They changed nothing to change the spec from 5/30 to 0/20. They did it for cafe brownie points. Thinner oil does provide better fuel economy and more hp. You have a 17 you said? 18+ came factory with the revised pistons with stronger ringlands and skirts. If yours ever got a rebuild they would use 18+ pistons.
The pricing for SS is crazy though. I'd have to extend my intervals to make that work.

How do you acquire your oil from them? I don't have any local dealers near me.

The pricing for SS is crazy though. I'd have to extend my intervals to make that work.

a dealer near me. I pay like $55 for a gallon and single qt and do it once a year. Cheap insurance imo. The single last me 3-4 oil changes.

Any concern about it only having API SN or the add pack itself? I assume its SN because of the weight?
It would have to be SN Plus to have the LSPI formulation. What's the bottle say ... just SN or SN Plus?

As others have mentioned, API SP is good for LSPI applications.

Back