Is Castrol GTX Magnatec syn getting hard to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else a Magnatec user and have found that it's hard to come my nowadays? The local Advance Autos, Autozones and Walmarts all have next to no stock. And some don't even mention 0w-20 on their websites anymore. What gives? Is it being phased out for something else?

I buy most of my oil at Meijer (largely b/c i work there), and they stopped carrying castrol all together a while back... so yes, very hard to come by for me...

I have a decent sized non-branded auto parts store (Run by a family) and they always have it on the shelf. If anyone is not going to be able to get something Canada is always on that list first...
21.gif

Up until this week Walmart by me has only had Magnatec 5W-20 in 5 quart jugs. They did have 5W-30 in quart bottles though. However as of this week they are stocking Magnatec 5W-30 in 5 quart jugs. However I've been able to purchase Mobil 1 5W-30 with MIR for $11.00 for a 5 quart jug, which I've always received
grin.gif
. I'll wait until their Spring rebate to purchase more Mobil 1 5W-30.

Whimsey

Interesting.... I've been to the nearby Walmart twice in the past two weeks looking to get this in 5W-20 (or 0W-20) but none's been available. The website says the store has it though. One time I got the auto-repair folks to check "in the back" but none was available. They told me they should get more on Tuesday. I went back later, still none. They do have 5W-30 in 5qt and also some in 1qt but I'm not interested in those. I then just decided to order it through the website for store pick-up on a Saturday. By Tuesday, it still wasn't ready for pick-up so I called. The lady that answered had been looking and looking for my oil and got the auto-repair guys to help look to, to no avail. She said she'd get it from another store in a few days or they should get a stock shipment soon too - whichever shows up first, they'll set it aside for me. It's now Friday and still nothing !

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Interesting.... I've been to the nearby Walmart twice in the past two weeks looking to get this in 5W-20 (or 0W-20) but none's been available. The website says the store has it though. One time I got the auto-repair folks to check "in the back" but none was available. They told me they should get more on Tuesday. I went back later, still none. They do have 5W-30 in 5qt and also some in 1qt but I'm not interested in those. I then just decided to order it through the website for store pick-up on a Saturday. By Tuesday, it still wasn't ready for pick-up so I called. The lady that answered had been looking and looking for my oil and got the auto-repair guys to help look to, to no avail. She said she'd get it from another store in a few days or they should get a stock shipment soon too - whichever shows up first, they'll set it aside for me. It's now Friday and still nothing !

Much easier to order online and have it shipped or held at your local store for PU.

The shelf in my garage is still stocked just fine.
smile.gif

I noticed when a new Walmart opened near my house, they had no Magnatec, but the other stores still had it. I have not looked lately to see what is around.

There are spots for it at my Wally's but in stock has been spotty, presumably since it sells so well. They always have 5w20, I grab a jug of 5w30 when it's there but I don't think there is even a spot for 0w20 anymore. The main stream oil buying public is not at all like BITOG'ers and with 5w20 always in stock that tells me 0w20 was probably not moving well at all.

At Wally's it's move or hit the road.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
There are spots for it at my Wally's but in stock has been spotty, presumably since it sells so well. They always have 5w20, I grab a jug of 5w30 when it's there but I don't think there is even a spot for 0w20 anymore. The main stream oil buying public is not at all like BITOG'ers and with 5w20 always in stock that tells me 0w20 was probably not moving well at all.

Still waiting for a real Rollback on that Mobil 1 annual protection price as is its a joke! too many good full synthetics that will go a year or near a year.

Last edited:
Heard they will have to phase it out due to cost of giant vibration equipment used to get molecules un clung from processing equipment
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Still waiting for a real Rollback on that Mobil 1 annual protection price as is its a joke! too many good full synthetics that will go a year or near a year.

Still waiting for a real Rollback on that Mobil 1 annual protection price as is its a joke! too many good full synthetics that
will go a year or near a year.

Funny you mention this; as this morning at Wal a Mart nearby M1 AP is “rollback”. So with taxes still over $40. Basically it’s not a true “rollback”

If you want the GTX magnatec go to NAPA. I did try to find it at autozone but they don't even have a label on the shelf for it. Advance Auto, their stock is so old they still have the 5 year old label of GTX! Plus it's fading! Date code was 2012. ouch!

But call up your local NAPA dealer, if they don't have it, they can get it in quickly. Already did this for a friend who is using this oil.
19.gif

Much easier to order online and have it shipped or held at your local store for PU.

The store said they had it in stock (but their inventory was incorrect as they discovered). I do wonder, if you do a "ship-to-store" for an item that they have on-hand, why wouldn't they just pull it from their own stock or do they ?

I did look at the status today and they have basically 'ordered' it from elsewhere (another store, a warehouse, etc, ??) as it shows "shipped" and arriving on Monday. I'm not in any hurry so it's no big deal for me at this point.

I just recently started using it and was lucky to find (1) 5 qt. container on the shelf at WM. I grabbed it before anyone else did. There were plenty of individual qts.
WM stock dude says they can't keep it on the shelves!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back