Is Castrol GTX Magnatec syn getting hard to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51

Funny you mention this; as this morning at Wal a Mart nearby M1 AP is “rollback”. So with taxes still over $40. Basically it’s not a true “rollback”

Yes they have had it marked Rollback and stacked at the ends of the isles at my local Walmart for over six weeks at that price. Its a marketing fail. I went right past it and picked up some other full synthetics on real Rollback with some rebates coming. Good synthetic is cheap when you watch for good deals and there not all at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: car51

Funny you mention this; as this morning at Wal a Mart nearby M1 AP is “rollback”. So with taxes still over $40. Basically it’s not a true “rollback”

Yes they have had it marked Rollback and stacked at the ends of the isles at my local Walmart for over six weeks at that price. Its a marketing fail. I went right past it and picked up some other full synthetics on real Rollback with some rebates coming. Good synthetic is cheap when you watch for good deals and there not all at Walmart.

You must have done what I did, for some Pennzoil Synthetic
smile.gif

I just picked up a 5qt jug of Magnatec 5w30 Saturday evening at my local Walmart. They had the usual weights plus the high mileage version in stock. But I did grab the last 5w30.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: researcher
If you want the GTX magnatec go to NAPA. I did try to find it at autozone but they don't even have a label on the shelf for it. Advance Auto, their stock is so old they still have the 5 year old label of GTX! Plus it's fading! Date code was 2012. ouch!

But call up your local NAPA dealer, if they don't have it, they can get it in quickly. Already did this for a friend who is using this oil.
19.gif

All the GTX at my local AAP is new; most of it is Ultraclean now. I did go to an ex-Carquest AAP with old stock once. I think they’re being sent old product from closed locations. They stopped selling Magnatec a year ago.

I'm not sure on the x-20 grades but on 5x30 it went from semi to full synthetic a little while back. While that was going on it was hard to find anything in stock for a bit. They may have re formulated the 20 and it is taking awhile to get to their stores. Usually yeah the individual quarts get there ahead of the jugs.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Walmart is just ten dollars away from paydirt on their AP.

https://www.walmart.com/nco/Mobil-1-Annual-Protection-0W20-5-qt-10-Gift-Card/47219926

When I bought AP for my last oil change, it came with a $10 WM gift card that I activated online. Combined with the MIR, it brought my out of pocket cost down to a palatable $18, which was still more than EP or AFE with the MIR. I believe it was the only oil on my WM's shelf that time that had a dexos1 Gen 2 license, which was of some value to me.
With lots of other oils at WM boasting Gen 2 licenses now, I probably won't be buying AP unless I can be convinced that there is some special magic to it...I don't care about 20kmile longevity because I am going to stick with a 5 kmile OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back