Is car performance "maxed out"?

Are you too slow getting to the next stop light? I am in no hurry to catch up to the next moron that cant figure out a multi lane highway or how to think about other people on the road.

Wasn't the next Tesla Roadster supposed to have gas thrusters for cornering and takeoff? Maybe I fell for the meme or it's a prank but that's one way to speed up a car.

I personally just want a comfortable riding SUV that has some getup and go but I don't need to get to 60 in 2 seconds, I'm not a racecar driver!

When you are talking about sub 4 second 0 to 60 times, I believe these cars are too fast for many drivers.
Not as dangerous as the hyper mototcycles, but just the same.

Having said that, I want a Model 3 Performance!

I wonder when we'll hit the limits of normal asphalt fighting back against tires trying to deform it. Drag strips make theirs sticky at the start line but regular interstates must have their limits. There are some traffic lights by me with "waves" in the pavement from traffic always stopping in the same spot on a hot day.

I wonder when we'll hit the limits of normal asphalt fighting back against tires trying to deform it. Drag strips make theirs sticky at the start line but regular interstates must have their limits. There are some traffic lights by me with "waves" in the pavement from traffic always stopping in the same spot on a hot day.
That's why cars have traction control. The problem is too many drivers take it off to spin the tires more and thus end up in an accident.

I'd say were getting close to reaching maximum capability of the driving public.
I think we're beyond it. Speed has gotten too cheap and easy. A few decades ago 300hp was the benchmark for good performance cars, and you'd be paying the equivalent of $100k in current value to get that. 600hp would be unobtanium outside of something expensive, custom, or professional. Today, 300 is the starting point for a relatively inexpensive vehicle, around $30k. For the better, but we've also improved crash safety to the point to nearly remove the lethal consequences of bad driving. Seatbelts, airbags, ABS, better tires, better steering, handling, braking distances, etc. I'm glad we have these but we're removing "Darwin." Combined, I believe most people drive beyond the physical limitations of their vehicles and their own human reflexes.

When I was young, I remember when 55mph was the normal speed, 65mph on the highways and it felt very fast. A few times breaking into the 70+ mph felt extremely risky. Getting in a high speed wreck at that speed would easily be lethal. Today, it's effortless and seemingly without physical consequence to push 100mph on highways for modern cars and trucks. And people walk away from horrific crashes often unharmed. This subconsciously increases speeds and risks, rewarding bad driving.

For the very top peak performance, the gains will be so marginally small, that it’s not important, but the fancy tech will drip down to consumer cars. Sure, the fastest production cars won’t be crossing 300mph probably ever, but I do expect 400hp Camries in the future (barring government intervention)
I agree with this assessment. 700hp is now relatively common, and 400hp within the budget of anyone with a steady job. I think the top end will focus on energy efficiency, and vehicle longevity, which is the next major hurdle. A rising tide will rise all ships as well.

With EV's and their incredible acceleration breaking loose the most grippe summer tires, have we maxed out off the line acceleration?
Haven't maxed out the car but pretty close to maxing out the physiological aspect for most people. I remember flooring my Explorer once last year and nearly blacking out. Had to lift pretty soon or I may have. (Assuming from low BP at the time) And that's from only 300 HP. 0-60 in 2 or even 3 seconds may knock some people out.

We are going to tinier displacement engines with more and more boost. A Lexus RX 350 used to be a naturally aspirated =V6 of 3.5 liters. Somehow, with a 11.8 to one compression ratio, it runs on 87 octane and produces 295 horsepower. The present RX 350 has a turbo 4 cylinder. 2.4 liters, 275 horsepower, on premium fuel, and less if 87 octane is used.

Undoubtedly, this downsizing was to improve fuel economy. But loses power, and requires a shift to premium to achieve the full 275 horsepower its rated at.

And, I suspect the expected life of the new motor is less than the former V6

Haven't maxed out the car but pretty close to maxing out the physiological aspect for most people. I remember flooring my Explorer once last year and nearly blacking out. Had to lift pretty soon or I may have. (Assuming from low BP at the time) And that's from only 300 HP. 0-60 in 2 or even 3 seconds may knock some people out.
Well, not too many guys that fragile will be buying and flooring these high performance cars?
I also assume far fewer electric cars crash during acceleration than Mustang GT's or older Vipers, even though they are nearly twice as quick? The electric cars are a bit more idiot proof it seems.
It seems most people buying the fast version of most toys have some idea what they are doing. 300hp Sea-doo's and 200hp ski-doo's and 100hp Atv's will make you have a bad day real quick if you hold them WO for long if you have no clue what you are doing, but people aren't dying at a high enough rate to ban them?

Cars will get faster until we regulate them.. average drivers have too much car now in many cases.
A teen in a porsche gt3 or gt4 wont survive long. They require experience and skills. The stupid 600 hp dodge cars and trucks get in accidents all the time.

For today's ultimate performance cars, acceleration from a dead stop is limited only by traction. So I think we will continue to see improvements in tire technology, materials & design... drivetrain technology too. But more power will help only if you're already going 100 MPH.

As others have said, I think for the general public its probably exceeded what there should be.

Even the average family Honda is nearly 300 horses now, big V8's of the 70s and 80s were usually around 165-180hp.

I think with tougher and tougher café and gov regulations that this is as good as it gets for 99% of road cars.
Hyper cars sure.....money buys everything.

Cars will get faster until we regulate them.. average drivers have too much car now in many cases.
A teen in a porsche gt3 or gt4 wont survive long. They require experience and skills. The stupid 600 hp dodge cars and trucks get in accidents all the time.
In spite of all the better control and crash safety ratings today, there definitely was a hidden benefit of giving your teenager a hand-me-down 4000 pound, 1977 Thunderbird with 130hp, wasn't there. Could barely get out of it's own way and kids were in a tank worth of steel.

Back