is brake fluid flushing a hybrid the same as any other vehicle?

i have a an ioniq and a prius i would like to do a brake system flush. i have access to both a vaccum bleeder and a motive pressure bleeder. i have used them both with success in non hybrid vehicles.

So is brake fluid flushing a hybrid vehicle the same?

You need the scan tool for the prius, at least a 2005. You click a button on the laptop, open the bleeder, then tap the brake pedal to tell the computer to send fluid to the rear cylinders. The front axle is still hydraulically connected to the pedal; you do that by pulling a couple of relays and or fuses.

Good news is there are options on ebay for under twenty bucks.

You could bleed the Prius without Techstream or a Toyota routine with a scan tool - but not recommended. The fronts bleed like a conventional brake system - pull the ABS relays. The rears will use the brake actuator with the brakes applied to push fluid to the wheels - keep it under 30 seconds with a 90 second rest. Toyota does describes the non-scan tool procedure for the newer cars.

Just a heads up, if you screw up the bleeding on a 2nd gen prius rear axle, it will not let itself out of park and will turn on the giant red triangle. You'll need a scanner, then.

Back