Is BMW 0w-40 Castrol Formula RS or Pentosin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol RS 0W40
 -

Yeah, one site claims it's Pentosin. Anyway, I'd use it if it's under $6/q...lol. Let's see how the price is if someone can get me a BMW discount. Maybe the GC Forum should just be made into a Imported oil Forum with all the brands like Elf, Motul and Euro Castrol. The need for expert feedback on these oils is real and in-demand.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Maybe the GC Forum should just be made into a Imported oil Forum with all the brands like Elf, Motul and Euro Castrol.

Spoke with the Elves...while they will miss the exclusive recognition of their communal village, they agree we should expand to include all imported oils or oils primarily designed for Euro vehicles (Amsoil Euro formula, Pennzoil and QS Euro formulas). Now before any screams what about the fine Japanese performance automotive products (Acura, Lexus, Infinity, Subaru WRX, etc)...they get discussed within the context of Euro oils...and anyway, the Elves are being magnanimous already to agree to this. What they do not want to see is for an expanded forum to drift off into a diluted form that is indistinguishable from the regular oil discussions. This would be for (primarily) Euro or Euro-associated oils.

Let's draw up a "recommended" list of Euro-sourced oils possibly available in USA:

Castrol, GC, GC Gold, BC, Formula RS
Mobil 1 5w-50 (Mclaren/AMG)
Shell Helix/PZ Euro
Elf
Motul
Agip
Pentosin

Others???

So, would it would be ok to do this as a GC/Euro Sauce Forum? It seems the members drawn to this Forum are looking at these types of oils anyway.

Hi,
Shhsssssssssssssssss!

Don't tell Ted - but I think this BMW sauce is actually rebadged M1 0w-40!!! BMW use it now to try and keep their F1 engines from blowing turbos 'n things (they sell it via BP as Castrol)

If he finds out the Elves will be distraught, as Ted is the only person in the world that can make ALL 0w-40 synthetic oils shear excessively and M1 0w-40 in particular

He has actually re-invented a special "shear machine" during his day job. It was previously used in New Zealand for shearing!
He uses it excessively I believe and his panties may be bunching up already after sensing this post

Shhsssssssssssssss - is Ted around?.........

Regards
Doug

Hi,
Elfemeister I think the Euro oils "extension" is a great idea

Like most things BITOG needs to cater for the World outside NA. On here for instance we should be interested in oil conservation and etc - if not we should be!

Doug (Honorary Elf)

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
Wow, is this actually a BMW labelled, Castrol supplied oil? AJ, let us know if you find it.

All BMW labeled oil is made by Castrol. Castrol signed an exclusive contract with BMW a few years ago to supply all their OEM and service fill oils, fluids, greases, etc.

All these Euro oils have great reputations, but they come at a heavy price. The big appeal of GC was it's availability and normal price...not to mention it's unique attributes, colour and smell. Now that green GC is gone, everyone knows where to get it and has compiled a stash, plus the advanced VOA is done, the GC Forum needs a new calling. Anyway, these Euro oils seem to have a mystique of their own and are ill-served on the regular Forum. Are there Euro-spec oils that are not Euro-made, yes. Do the Euro-spec oils belong on the regular Forum, yes. What makes true Euro-oils unique and in need of a Forum is their availability (how many "where to get Elf" posts do you think Vetteman will tolerate on the regular Forum?) and the lack of mfg and consumer info & feedback on these products. Here is the ideal place for our members from Europe, people who have traveled there on Oil Pilgrimage, or guys who have tried and tested the Euro Sauces. It's specialized info and does not detract from the domestic oil discussion. It's been slow here anyway, I vote 100% to expand to include all Euro-make oils! Maybe we should be trying more of them.

PS I forgot Fuchs!

The specs of the Castrol 0w-40 look better then the M1. For one, it's 12.9 cSt and has a HT/HS of 3.7. It's flash point is also higher. I believe this oil would shear less then the M1.

buster, I dropped mileage significantly when I went from M1 0W-40 to Castrol.

It's got me a tad intreagued.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Let's draw up a "recommended" list of Euro-sourced oils possibly available in USA:

Castrol, GC, GC Gold, BC, Formula RS
Mobil 1 5w-50 (Mclaren/AMG)
Shell Helix/PZ Euro
Elf
Motul
Agip
Pentosin

Others???

So, would it would be ok to do this as a GC/Euro Sauce Forum? It seems the members drawn to this Forum are looking at these types of oils anyway.

I'd like to add Motorex of CH:

http://www.motorex.ch/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/path/1-7.htm - click distributor link for Motorex USA(Ventura, CA)

Also, don't forget Liqui Moly..

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
[QBAs I told Chris Jefferson in another thread, I believe strongly that GC is the better of these two oils...I beleive the technology inherent in GC makes it the better street oil and I KNOW it is better than Castrol RS/BMW 0W-40 for longer OCIs.
If you're speaking of "green" GC, you may be right. The "gold" GC is still an unproven oil, IMO. [/QB]

G-Man,

I believe the Gold will turn out to be LongTec/DCO TopUp and that it will prove to be as great as the Green. One thing we all have to keep in mind is that as the blenders target these oils for certain applications, some areas of the oil's performance may improve while others reduce a bit (e.g. the oil's TBN retention may improve, the effects on catalytic converters may be more positive, but we may see an increase in certain wear metals). That is what makes a UOA in isolation both in terms of # performed with that oil and in terms of expert interpretation potentially misleading. It also indicates that we are at the mercy of "the going thing" in relation to standards and performance targets by the blenders. A wholistic (spelling intentional) assessment is absolutely essential.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The specs of the Castrol 0w-40 look better then the M1. For one, it's 12.9 cSt and has a HT/HS of 3.7. It's flash point is also higher. I believe this oil would shear less then the M1.

As I told Chris Jefferson in another thread, I believe strongly that GC is the better of these two oils...I beleive the technology inherent in GC makes it the better street oil and I KNOW it is better than Castrol RS/BMW 0W-40 for longer OCIs. I've read up on these two oils (I am treating the new Gold GC as Longtec or DCO TopUp). If you are taking your high output engine to the track and running short OCIs (5000 miles or less) or if you are doing a lot of sustained high speed driving in high ambient temps (above 90º) with short OCIs, then the 0W-40 might be better...other wise stick with GC.

quote:

As I told Chris Jefferson in another thread, I believe strongly that GC is the better of these two oils...I beleive the technology inherent in GC makes it the better street oil and I KNOW it is better than Castrol RS/BMW 0W-40 for longer OCIs. I've read up on these two oils (I am treating the new Gold GC as Longtec or DCO TopUp). If you are taking your high output engine to the track and running short OCIs (5000 miles or less) or if you are doing a lot of sustained high speed driving in high ambient temps (above 90º) with short OCIs, then the 0W-40 might be better...other wise stick with GC.

I agree, but I'd still like to know the chemistry of the 0w-40. The viscosity and HT/HS of both GC and the 0w-40 are almost identical.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
[QBAs I told Chris Jefferson in another thread, I believe strongly that GC is the better of these two oils...I beleive the technology inherent in GC makes it the better street oil and I KNOW it is better than Castrol RS/BMW 0W-40 for longer OCIs.[/QB]

If you're speaking of "green" GC, you may be right. The "gold" GC is still an unproven oil, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back