Is being a former "Carmax Certified" car a bonus or negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Irrelevant.

Maybe. I'm doing more service to it myself then Carmax and have pictures to prove it.

Unless you have some very rare collectable car its not an investment they depreciate are you kidding yourself?

Proof of maintenance on daily driver you're selling is just as important to a buyer.

LOL

I'll bet 90-95% of buyers don't care about a sticker unless it's obnoxious like those giant UAW ones Ford used to plaster on.

Guess you haven't read all the posts here suggesting passing on cars without good records.

You can have a car traded in and the oil changes were being performed by the owner himself-and it would never show up on the CarFax.

Your point isn't a very good one.

In addition-it has been proven time and time again-on here and elsewhere that you can have a whole folder/envelope of service receipts and it's the NADA/Bluebook that is the trade in amount matrix.

I can't find anywhere in either one of those sources that say -"OCD owner records...add $100.00 to trade in".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Guess you haven't read all the posts here suggesting passing on cars without good records.

You can have a car traded in and the oil changes were being performed by the owner himself-and it would never show up on the CarFax.

Your point isn't a very good one.

In addition-it has been proven time and time again-on here and elsewhere that you can have a whole folder/envelope of service receipts and it's the NADA/Bluebook that is the trade in amount matrix.

I can't find anywhere in either one of those sources that say -"OCD owner records...add $100.00 to trade in".

Trade in absolutely not - every time I have traded a car to a dealer they don't give two hoots about prior service, every time I ask "do you need my stack of service receipts" it is an instant nope, not needed. Now on the other hand selling to a private party I would think there would be a level of confidence instilled on most buyers (well we all know there are some out there that aren't even aware a car even needs routine service) if you could produce evidence of regular maintenance.

Selling a car which has a small Carmax Certified sticker on the side window. Should I leave it or remove it? Do people think it's a good thing that it once was a certified car or does Carmax have negative connotations to some folks?

Doesn't mean much either way. It wouldn't influence me just being called certified.There's no standard for the term "certified".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back