Is anything being recycled these days?

Plastics for sure. Saw an industrial recycling operation a few days ago. It was quite impressive. I had no idea.

Cardboard and soda cans are still big as far as I know. Maybe vegetable cans I’m not sure? Glass not so much and definitely not colored glass like a Bud bottle.

Plastics for sure. Saw an industrial recycling operation a few days ago. It was quite impressive. I had no idea.

Cardboard and soda cans are still big as far as I know. Maybe vegetable cans I’m not sure? Glass not so much and definitely not colored glass like a Bud bottle.

The company I work for had to incinerate cardboard during the pandemic because the market was flooded with Amazon boxes

Our capacity to recycle is unaffected by demand
Then there’s still a need for recycling cardboard then, no?

Just because one company can’t doesn’t mean others aren’t able to.

I still don’t get it. There’s a shortage and the best idea was to burn what you couldn’t process?

Marxism? What could possibly go wrong?
Not really, the people who came out of that is still alive to remind us about it. I was thinking more of the line of restarting your life or other "sacrifice someone else's life to extend yours" or "fountain of youth".

The eighth bullet point is a disappointment, though I don’t believe they are differentiating between “hard plastic” and over-used plastic bags.

This is from what I heard in our local recycling center:

Different plastic has different melting point, so if you mix in hard plastic, clam shell, bags they becomes a mess and nobody wants to buy the final product. Same for dark color / black plastic, once you go black you can't go back, so they tell us to just trash black plastic. Fewer higher quality plastic means they can sell them (maybe to China too) instead of having to toss it into the landfill after cleaning them up.

Interestingly they told us in our area we can recycle juice boxes and other tetra-pak containers too, I guess we have high landfill cost and we have people willing to invest in the future to buy the process here.

Today's biggest problem in recycling is quality, you want quality over quantity. So if you don't want to recycle it is ok, just put things in the trash, don't ruin it for everyone else by putting trash in the recycle bin.

I probably recycle more than anyone I know, but still, I toss peanut butter jar and engine oil jug into trash instead of recycle bin.

I notice the garbage bins at every gas station in Florida are full of cans and bottles... I wish they had recycle bins there....I also wish more Americans understood that throwing aluminum cans in the garbage is wasteful and dumb...In NY...the nickel deposit makes a difference...
There are recycle bins at my Florida Condo, waste management picks them up once a week.

I think some of the stuff that goes in the bins (aluminum cans maybe) gets recycled. I strongly suspect most of the rest ends up in the landfill eventually. IMO, recycle bins currently are mostly there for folks to feel good about their efforts.

Reactions: pbm
Then there’s still a need for recycling cardboard then, no?

Just because one company can’t doesn’t mean others aren’t able to.

I still don’t get it. There’s a shortage and the best idea was to burn what you couldn’t process?
Our municipality gives no choice in the matter

Back