Is anything being recycled these days?

Long story short; last night I was having a beer with few co workers. One of them said glass recycling in PA is making a comeback. Is anything else like paper, plastics, etc being recycled here in the USA? I’m just asking as I don’t read newspaper nor do I have cable. Thank You in advance.

In Florida; glass, metal cans, and many hard plastics are put out in bins on weekly pickup day. I assume they are going to the recycler. Ed

Are you asking if it’s recycled in the U.S. or shipped to China to be recycled? I fill a 100 gallon tote weekly with paper, cardboard, aluminum cans and plastic food containers. I have no idea where the actual conversion into new products happens though.

The other side of the coin has to be considered here. Case in point; “Americans throw away 20 billion disposable diapers every year.”

Shall we go back to cloth diapers which then use large amounts of hot water to wash? Cloth diapers had to changed often. Then there is the electricity used for washing and drying.

There does need to be more research into using waste materials.

Are you asking if it’s recycled in the U.S. or shipped to China to be recycled? I fill a 100 gallon tote weekly with paper, cardboard, aluminum cans and plastic food containers. I have no idea where the actual conversion into new products happens though.
Guess I’m asking if it’s being recycled here in the USA

Our small city has a great recycling program and a recycling center known around the world.

The recycling center takes glass, various types of plastic, cans and bottles, paper, cardboard, scrap metal, recycles all sorts of batteries, motor oil, and converts food waste into compost which it gives back to the community several times a year.

In Florida; glass, metal cans, and many hard plastics are put out in bins on weekly pickup day. I assume they are going to the recycler. Ed
I notice the garbage bins at every gas station in Florida are full of cans and bottles... I wish they had recycle bins there....I also wish more Americans understood that throwing aluminum cans in the garbage is wasteful and dumb...In NY...the nickel deposit makes a difference...

Guess I’m asking if it’s being recycled here in the USA

Short answer: No

More nuanced answer: Mostly no but there are a few exceptions

All my comments are related to household recycling: Paper, plastic, metal, and glass. Everything else, batteries, catalytic convertors, engine oil, and so on, are legitimately recycled. Household waste is where the story gets interesting.

Recycling is an economics problem. The origins of mainstream recycling even had a marketing department to help sell it.

Once the general public came to learn that plastic has a 10,000 year lifespan, the plastic industry had an image problem. To combat that image problem, they turned to recycling. They all but invented plastic recycling, pretty much made it up out of thin air: "Yeah, plastic takes forever to biodegrade, but you can RECYCLE it into something else!" Notice where the onus is now: "It's not for *us* to stop making plastic, it's up to *you* to recycle it!" As part of a concerted marketing push, they created the recycling logo (the tringle of arrows) and started putting the plastic classification as a number with the logo.

There was a problem though: 99.5% of processors weren't able to recycle plastic. Not that they didn't want to or it wasn't profitable to recycle, they literally didn't have the capability. That would have caused a problem for the plastic industry and their recycling plans, so they never talked to recyclers about it. The recycling logo to identify the type of plastic? Completely arbitrary by the plastic industry. The numbers didn't mean anything to recyclers.

With this marketing push (remember "reduce, reuse, recycle" that was taught in school? Yeah, also plastic industry marketing), municipalities were basically bullied by residents into starting recycling programs, no matter how uneconomical (or even possible) it was to recycle.

More economics.

Per ton, it costs 5x more to recycle a piece of waste than it does to bury it in a landfill. That's very important. If you want to sell your recycled material back to manufacturers to make into new things, it has to be less expensive than getting virgin raw material.

Paper is made from trees. Plastic is made from oil. Both trees and oil are easy to extract from the Earth and are already being collected at a huge scale. That makes both pretty cheap and also makes it very difficult for recycled plastic and recycled paper to compete on a cost basis.

Paper and plastic are mostly thrown into landfills.

Even if you have a special bin to put your recyclables into and a special truck comes to pick up that special bin, once it is sorted, the paper and plastic eventually follow the other garbage to the landfill.

Metal and glass are a different story. Metal is really hard to get out of the ground. Glass requires a lot of effort to create from raw materials. Both can be utilized from a recycled form more cheaply than they can from the raw materials.

Metal and glass are typically always actually recycled.

Unfortunately, with all the cardboard boxes and plastic packaging, the bulk of what is collected is paper and plastic.

It didn't used to be this way. Until 2018, Chinese companies collected sorted recyclable waste by the ton, as much as they could from America and Europe. A Chinese woman named Zhang Yin became a billionaire developing the logistics of using empty container ships returning to Chinese ports to haul recyclable waste.

In 2018, for various reasons, the Chinese government put a stop to the importation of solid waste. They basically said to the companies importing recyclable material, "Stop collecting other countries garbage and start recycling China's trash."

That was the end of the gravy train.

That's where we're at now. For most materials, the economics just don't work in America. Recyclers won't process what they can't sell and if it's cheaper to make plastic and paper from raw materials, there aren't many buyers.

Somebody has to account for that cost. Until it becomes more expensive to use raw materials instead of recycled materials or some type of regulation forces a change in the amount of recycled material required by manufacturers, expect more of the same.

The 4 town recycling facility we have recycles cans, paper, cardboard, ferrous, nonferrous metals and oil and filters. The plastics are limited to what can be sold. Some plastics are too expensive to recycle as compared to the products made from oil. The ultimate decision in complete recycling will be how much people are willing to spend.

Throwing away aluminum is a tragedy. It takes 95 percent less energy to recycle it than to make new metal from ore.

The other side of the coin has to be considered here. Case in point; “Americans throw away 20 billion disposable diapers every

In the early 90’s “plastic” fuel pellets were being made from diapers

They work well in coal fired plants and in specially designed corn burning furnaces

But alas nobody wants to collect and separate then recycle food containers, doubtful anyone would want to deal with a diaper can that even though it is a very cheap, efficient clean burning fuel source.

Some plastics are too expensive to recycle as compared to the products made from oil. The ultimate decision in complete recycling will be how much people are willing to spend.

Yet all plastics except #1 and #3 can be made into 25 cent per gallon diesel fuel, too bad we are so incompetent about doing anything with waste

The vast majority of Maryland's "single stream recycling" goes into the landfills as "clean top fill".

Aluminum cans and lead-acid car batteries enjoy the highest recycling rates.

The vast majority of Maryland's "single stream recycling" goes into the landfills as "clean top fill".

Aluminum cans and lead-acid car batteries enjoy the highest recycling rates.
Probably cat converters too are high recyclable

I notice the garbage bins at every gas station in Florida are full of cans and bottles... I wish they had recycle bins there....I also wish more Americans understood that throwing aluminum cans in the garbage is wasteful and dumb...In NY...the nickel deposit makes a difference...
Glass bottle and aluminum can deposits, and return depots have been in place in Canada for at least 40 years. Here is just a quick read on what happens to those brown beer bottles. Bob and Doug Mackenzie make good use of the return depot. ;)

9B0750FF-CAC5-499A-8F80-9F2844C2DDB3.png

Last edited:
Back