Is anyone using VW502.00 (or other spec etc.) instead of VW508.00 in a newer VW?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by wemay
I ask because i've been placed into the position of having to do so because VIOC significantly overfilled my Passat this weekend and i did not realize it until Sunday (thread link below). So i drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil1 0W-40 (VW502.00 and VW505.00). I've only driven about 35 miles since the change and noticed nothing different although i know i will take a small MPG hit versus the VW508.00 0W-20.

Leaving warranty discussion out of this, what if any differences should i notice during this OCI?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ctor-oil-change-way-overfill#Post5401810

WAIT...You started a thread saying you used Valvoline 0w20 and then 2-3 days later you drained it and put in 0w40?

Yes, VIOC did not extract the full contents so i ended up with 7.5+ quarts in a 5.9 qt sump. I didnt reuse the drained oil because my collection container has speckles of debris. All I had/have on hand is the 0W40, so that's what went in.

Other than warranty concerns, I'd use a 502 or 504 and never look back. My understanding is the VW 508 does have a special dye in it to help dealers spot other oils. Not that a 502 is going to cause any kind of issue that they would be looking at it anyway. JMO.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
wemay, I think you will be fine running 0W-40. I do agree with edyvw in that I would prefer Castrol to Mobil, but that's nit. Importantly, you live in Florida. 0W-40 will be thinner in a Florida winter than a 0W-20 will be in a frigid -20 degree Minnesota winter!

Scott

91°f here today 🌞

Roaches, humidity and potential 90 degrees in April is why I am not coming back to live to Southeast.

Hahaha, it's funny you mention these reasons. I enjoy the heat. But although I'm afraid of no* critters (I've collected and bred various snakes, lizards, Tarantulas and Scorpion) I'm TERRIFIED OF BIG FLYING ROACHES. And yes, we do get them on occasion.

I am not terrified of them. I hate sitting outside, have my whiskey and cheese and then that flying bird/roach lands on my "meza."

...bird/roach lands on my "meza...."

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Other than warranty concerns, I'd use a 502 or 504 and never look back. My understanding is the VW 508 does have a special dye in it to help dealers spot other oils. Not that a 502 is going to cause any kind of issue that they would be looking at it anyway. JMO.

Agreed, the EA888 has been out quite some time now and doesn't suffer from any anomalous engine failure issues.

Is VW502 an option for that engine?

0w20 to 0w40 seems like quite a jump. Does your warranty allow it assuming you have one?

Originally Posted by dlundblad

0w20 to 0w40 seems like quite a jump. Does your warranty allow it assuming you have one?

You're right, it is quite a jump. I'm going back to 508 here shortly, maybe this weekend and donate the slightly used oil. The car is definitely sluggish on the higher HTHS oil. No, the manual actually says to only use 508. You can use another SN 0w20, ACEA A3/B4 or VW approved oil only as top-up, and even then, only half a quart may be used.

EA888 is designed around heavy oils. 0W20 is an afterthought due to CAFE.

Designed for and warrantied for and 2 different things.

Not saying I disagree what your point, but..

You're right, it is quite a jump. I'm going back to 508 here shortly, maybe this weekend and donate the slightly used oil. The car is definitely sluggish on the higher HTHS oil. No, the manual actually says to only use 508. You can use another SN 0w20, ACEA A3/B4 or VW approved oil only as top-up, and even then, only half a quart may be used.

How do you plan on donating the used oil?

Designed for and warrantied for and 2 different things.

Not saying I disagree what your point, but..

508 is also spec in Europe, it does not have to do with cafe. Edy likes to say things as if they are fact when sometimes it is not true.

How do you plan on donating the used oil?

Our community lawn caretaker. They have a full assortment of equipment. Decent fellas too.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I ask because i've been placed into the position of having to do so because VIOC significantly overfilled my Passat this weekend and i did not realize it until Sunday (thread link below). So i drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil1 0W-40 (VW502.00 and VW505.00). I've only driven about 35 miles since the change and noticed nothing different although i know i will take a small MPG hit versus the VW508.00 0W-20.

Leaving warranty discussion out of this, what if any differences should i notice during this OCI?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ctor-oil-change-way-overfill#Post5401810

WAIT...You started a thread saying you used Valvoline 0w20 which was overfilled and then 2-3 days later you drained it and put in 0w40?

Why in the world didn't you add the 508 oil back minus the overfill amount?

That was my question before I even read past the first response!

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
wemay, I think you will be fine running 0W-40. I do agree with edyvw in that I would prefer Castrol to Mobil, but that's nit. Importantly, you live in Florida. 0W-40 will be thinner in a Florida winter than a 0W-20 will be in a frigid -20 degree Minnesota winter!

Scott

I posted in wrong thread. Sorry

Back