Ford '07 Powerstroke
Ford '48 F5 V8
Honda '95 Accord
Ford '99 Mustang
Chrysler '44 flathead industrial 6 pump
Mercury Milan '06 V6
Kubota '07
Ford Focus '05

It seems to be holding up quite well, prior to the changeover by Deere I had been using original Coolgard in everything.

Since both G-05 and CG II are approved for diesel engines, what advantages does the CG II provide. Is appears to be about $5 to $6 more a gallon.

Donald I am NOT an expert on much of anything, let alone coolants. I am fortunate to have relatively new equipment at work and at home and I avoid headaches by just using what the mfg. recommends.

Here are two threads that mention G05 and Coolgard next to other heavy duty diesel coolants for you to wrap your thoughts around:

http://205.243.146.146/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806058

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1696012#Post1696012

Also google Ford Diesel G05 for some interesting reading.

The idea I get from reading this stuff is that G05 is o.k. for light to medium diesal use, but is simply less robust and not suitable for the real heavy duty uses: Ag and construction equipment, over the road trucks, etc.. I'm not sure you can add SCA to it and it doesn't seem to have the extra extended life of the heavy duty coolants.

Just my thoughts based on reading. No real data.

Coolgard II has a service rating of 6 years/6,000 hrs. GO-5 has no where near the service life listed above.

According to Deere the Coolgard II formula is proprietery to them, its a tri-hoat formula.

My take is that something like G-05 is fine for any diesel with dry liners and JD CG II is fine for any diesel. I assume the engine in my Bobcat has dry liners. But I will verify that. The whole thing about being "SCA charged" I think is solely for wet liners.

Maybe I should have used JD CH II in my Bobcat as its only a few dollars more and I spend more than that on diet Pepsi before breakfast.

I am a little mystified about the cooling system on the Bobcat. Manual says 22 QTs and I opened the engine drain until it stopped and when I added coolant I got in a little less than 4 gallons. The radiator is on top of the engine and the manual says to just open the engine drain. Its not like there is a heater core or anything. I wonder if there are any other water cooled heat exchangers, like for normal oil or hydraulic fluid.

When the manual says 22 QTs, is that including up to the COLD mark on the overflow?

In my experience, there can be large variations between equipment regarding how much coolant is left in the system after a drain, even if there are block drains.

I just did a Kohler generator with Ford engine and I can only get 1/2 of the total out between the radiator and block drains.

There must be some large pockets in some engines that simply don't drain out.

Yep, what he said.

Even after draining the block and radiator, you could still easily have a puddle in each. And if the thermostat is in good condition (sealing well), the top radiator hose won't drain.

I'm sure the 22qt spec if factor fill capacity. The amount that actually drains out will always be less.

And no, there are no other heat exchangers on that machine that use coolant.

Originally Posted By: onion
Yep, what he said.

Even after draining the block and radiator, you could still easily have a puddle in each. And if the thermostat is in good condition (sealing well), the top radiator hose won't drain.

I'm sure the 22qt spec if factor fill capacity. The amount that actually drains out will always be less.

And no, there are no other heat exchangers on that machine that use coolant.

When you say the top radiator hose will not drain, are you talking about a Bobcat 843? Or in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back