Is anyone here using Canadian Tire's Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I'm just curious if anyone is running this stuff and might be getting an analysis done? It's on sale this week for under $20 for a 4L jug. I know it's made by Shell but that's about all I know about it. I may try a few intervals with it in my sister's car once I'm done the Castrol GTX and Syntec intervals.

Yep, have used it on a number of occasions. Have been recently been using it (5w-50) in my garage queen (80 Spitfire) but only drive about 800km a season so, when I put the Spit into winter storage I drain my summer load and transfer it over to my kid's 89 Dodge where we run it for the winter. Seems to hold up just as well as other brands I've used (Castrol and Mobil). Have never done an analysis on it as my usage is quite unusual.
dunno.gif

Interesting..
The guys at CDN Tire told me it was made by Esso/Imperial...
dunno.gif

I have used it before when they did come out with those great sale prices. But I havnt used in a long while.

[ January 27, 2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: 2K2AcuraTL ]

It's not made by Imperial Oil anymore, in fact it's been about two years since they stopped making it and it is now Shell. I know someone who works for Imperial Oil who confirmed this.

Dragboat, the stuff comes in only three viscosities, 5w30, 10w30 and 5w50. You have to be careful because all three viscosities have identical packaging, gold bottles and jugs with gold caps. So at a quick glance someone could easily mistake 5w50 for 5w30, especially with the fancy font they use on the packaging.

Although I haven't done an oil analysis with it, I have been using Formula 1 synthetic for a couple of years and I am pleased with the product. I am currently using 5W50 in a 1991 Toyota Camry, and there is no oil consumption in-between oil changes. The car use to use about a half a liter between oil changes with conventional 10w30.

It has been quite cold here the last couple of weeks, and I have been doing some informal test on the cold weather properties of oils. At -30oC I found the Formula 1 synthetic to flow as good or slightly better than Mobil 1 tri-synthetic, and much better than Castrol Syntec.

Carl

Yes I to have found that the Formula 1 synthetic oil is flowing better then quaker state synthetic.
Would there be any difference between a 5W-30 and a 5W-50?
E.g what are there any big deal between them.

Rick

I would never run their 5w50! For one, there aren't many cars that actually need a 50wt oil to begin with, and even those that do, should run something like a 15w50 or 20w50, as it'll have way less VI improvers.

Ok, well if the Formual 1 synthetic is fine. I'm going to continue to use it since it's cheaper and I guess because it says Motomaster and not Shell.
Does anyone disagree?

Didn't Shell recently sell some really bad gasoline in Canada? Most of your southern neighbors down here don't know about that.

Other than that, I'd choose Shell lubes over those sold by Crappy Tire (or is it Canadian Junk...I've heard it called both).

Ken

Well what ever crappy tire never makes anything it's sells. It's just there name that they put on everything. So if Formula 1 SYn is mades by Shell I'm fine with that.

For those who have a chance to look at these oils...why do the API labels on the 10-40 or 5-50 grades list these as "Energy Conserving" when no other oils over a 30 weight are considered nor labelled as such? Is this a mis-label? Is the grade uncertain? Is there liability?

What I'd like to know if this oil is worth the 23dollars like it always is, or is it better to spend the extra 7 dollars and by Mobil 1?

quote:

Originally posted by rick:
What I'd like to know if this oil is worth the 23dollars like it always is, or is it better to spend the extra 7 dollars and by Mobil 1?

Hard to say for sure without doing a few intervals with each with oil analysis. This week (and every month or so) the CT Synthetic is under $20 for a 4L jug, so it ends up being quite a bit cheaper than M1, which never seems to go on sale here anymore.

I wouldn't compare it to M-1 as it's probably a Group III...the question would be how it compares to Syntec sitting right next to it on the shelf. I'm just concerned about quality control standards with store-labelled oils...

quote:

What I'd like to know if this oil is worth the 23dollars like it always is, or is it better to spend the extra 7 dollars and
by Mobil 1?

If you are unsure about the quality of Canadian Tire oil, around here (Saskatoon) you can get Esso superflow for 5.48 a litre at Superstore. Even if your local Superstore doesn't stock superflow, you should be able to get this oil for the almost the same price at the nearest Esso bulk retailer.

The spec's for Esso superflow can be found at http://www.esso.ca/products/lubes/index_lubes.html I would still like to believe that these are also the spec's for the Formula 1 synthetic's, but there is no way to prove this.

Carl

quote:

Now I'm wondering if I should just spend the extra 5 dollars and get Mobil 1?
Anyone.

If it's just $5 difference, I'd go with the Mobil 1.

When I was looking for the difference in qualities in synthetic oil. It's very hard to try oil companies what they use. I mean if you look at Royal Purple as an example they seen to use dino as there carrier oil. I don't understant why they are making a product called synthetic when there are using non syn oils on there.
So with that sayed is Mobil 1 pure synthetic. Is it considered a hight quality?

quote:

When I was looking for the difference in qualities in synthetic oil. It's very hard to try oil companies what they use. I mean if you look at Royal Purple as an example they seen to use dino as there carrier oil. I don't understant why they are making a product called synthetic when there are using non syn oils on there.
So with that sayed is Mobil 1 pure synthetic. Is it considered a hight quality?

Mobil 1 used mineral oil as the additive carrier up until a few years ago. The fact that RP uses it doesn't mean that it's not "fully synthetic." The issue is not the little bit of oil used to disperse the additives, but the base oil, which makes up the majority of the finished motor oil.

As for Mobil 1 being considered high quality, the answer is a definitive YES. Mobil 1 is, in my opinion, the best PAO/ester based synthetic you can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back