Is anyone here using Canadian Tire's Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the street version of Royal Purple (not the Racing stuff) be anywhere close to the qualite of Mobil 1?

quote:

Originally posted by rick:
Would the street version of Royal Purple (not the Racing stuff) be anywhere close to the qualite of Mobil 1?

I believe it is, and will have proof, as my wife's car is running Royal Purple 5w30 and I can compare it to the results with Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

I believe it is, and will have proof, as my wife's car is running Royal Purple 5w30 and I can compare it to the results with Mobil 1.

Great.. please keep us posted ..I am also interesed in these results.
Jean

For sure Jean! The instant I get any oil analysis results I always post them here!
smile.gif
I'm going to be draining this batch of RP out earlier than I originally planned, as I want to get out the winter batch in April and start fresh. From now on I'll continue running RP in my wife's car and will change it every April and every November, regardless of mileage. So I might not even make 3k on this current batch (which goes against my past hatred of the 3k interval!) but I just don't like the way we've had such extreme cold here this winter and I think it's best to start fresh with fresh oil in all of my family's cars this spring.

As far as the CT stuff, I think this is the new plan (I'm always revising my plans!)
smile.gif

I'm going to run Pennzoil 5w30 in my mom's car starting this April. The first interval will be a short 1000km interval with Auto-rx. Then I will run the second interval until November. In November I'll give the 5w30 Canadian Tire synthetic a try. Mobil 1 is getting too pricey up here, the 4L jug is on sale this week and is still $28! But when the CT stuff goes on sale it's under $20. Since I'm going to be changing out my mom's oil twice a year and it will have probably less than 4k on it each time, the CT stuff will probably do just fine. And I'm very interested in seeing how it holds up. The 5w20 test in my mom's car will have to wait until another time. I've got so many tests that I want to run, I need more cars!
smile.gif

[ February 01, 2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

The only problem is...

1. The Esso/Imperial oil stats are from 2000. A lot of synthetics back then were PAO and have fallen to the group III route...so until there's updated stats...

2. Continuing from above...the stats refer to the oil as being SJ. The new oils out there are SL.

3. Used to see the oil at Wal-Mart (I remember seeing it in the gold bottles)...dwindling supplies/stock now...will have to re-check if they even carry it...maybe pulled it off the shelf from too much dust.

Patman...go for it! I'd love to see the analysis. How can we confirm that Can. Tire oils are Shell though? Is it still a toss-up between Esso and Shell?

quote:

What is Auto-Rx and where can I get it?

Auto-rx is one of our sponsors on here and it can be ordered through their site:

www.auto-rx.com

It's definitely worth the extra cost to have it shipped to Canada.

Dr.T, I'm really anxious to try out this CT oil in my mom's car now. I might just go straight to using this oil in the spring now. I'll put Auto-rx in her current batch of Mobil 1 first. I probably won't bother analyzing her Mobil 1 that's in there now since she hasn't driven it very much since I put it in before xmas.

I'm constantly changing my mind about which oils I'm gonna run tests on in my mother's and sister's cars though, so who knows what'll actually happen this year.
smile.gif

**** that stuff is ****ed expensive?
I think I might just use Risoline it's only 5 dollars at walmart.

quote:

**** that stuff is ****ed expensive?
I think I might just use Risoline it's only 5 dollars at walmart.

But it most likely will not give you the same results. The Rislone we have at Walmart here isn't even the same cleaner stuff that some US guys have mentioned. I looked yesterday and the stuff they had was merely an oil treatment like STP.

Auto-rx works, many on here use it with great success. Sure it costs us Canadians a little bit more, but I think it's worth it for what it does. It took me a while to become convinced when I first heard about it, but when I finally took the plunge I was very happy with the results I saw on my oil analysis. See this thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000160

I would still love to know if the Can. Tire Formula 1 Synthetic is an actual PAO made by Esso/Imperial Oil or a Group III Shel product. How can we find out for sure?

I've seen the stats for the Esso stuff. Is there stats for the Formula 1 oils online?

I haven't seen any stats anywhere on their oils. Their website just sells stuff, there is no technical info on it.

quote:

Greg,

Thank you for visiting Shell Canada's web site.

In response to your inquiry, we do supply some of the Canadian Tire
products however there is no such comparison with our product, the
Canadian Tire products meet only the API specification but do not have
the Shell special additives that make Shell product a better quality.
The CTC Formula 1 will be comparable to our formula Shell line of
products. I do not see in my listing a reference to Nugold therefore I
can't speculate on this product.

Hope this will help

Regards,

Jerome Milce
Technical Rep.
Shell Canada Products

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 8:53 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: oil by motomaster

Hello,

I heard from a reputable source that you supply the oils for Canadian
Tire
Motomaster brands. I was wondering if the types such as 'NuGold',
'Supreme'
and 'Formula 1' can be cross-referenced to any of your own oils so I can
look up product data sheets?

Thanks,

Greg

Wow now I'm wondering just how good the Formula 1 synthetic realy is.
I realy can't see it being a very good synthetic.

Hmmm, after reading what that Shell representive said, I'm not so sure I want to use it in my mom's car. Maybe I'll just stick with SuperSyn in her car (but switch to 5w30 now instead of 10w30 because of her short trips)

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Patman, what did the Shell representative say?

I'm referring to the post on page one of this thread where he mentions how CT oil doesn't get the same Shell additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back