Is AMSOIL like AMWAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It relies on a network of individuals as you stated. It's a quality product. I would add though that with this style of marketing, which only costs $30 to become a dealer, their are many dealers that don't know what they are talking about. This leads to alot of false information about oil IMO.

It's MLM, so it sure helps if you can get people to sell for you.

It's so difficult to get a major distribution network going and then get shelf space so MLM is relatively easy.

My understanding is that Amsoil does have some issues with how people sell on the internet, though. Maybe some of our guys and clarify this.

Okay, I have to admit, I'd barely even heard of Amsoil before reading BITOG, and certainly didn't know anyone who used it and had never seen it before in stores.

Is their business model sort of like Amway or Tupperware, i.e. relies primarily on a network of small businesses and indviduals to sell their products?

Just curious,

DD

If you mean MLM... then the strategy is the same. Shelf space and conventional marketing is expensive and success is limited when a smaller business tries to compete with the big boys on the same field.

Yes, they also have a prefered customer program. You can also order catalogs or order from one of the dealers on this sight as a prefered customer...or even become a dealer.. it's easy...unfortunately that hurts them too.
Once you get past the hype the fluids are quality products.

Yes Amsoil is MLM - but the distinction really is that there is no requirement to buy some "minimum" stock of materials. Amsoil isn't pushy at all - there is no force to sign up new dealers, no hen parties, no surprises.

As the others mention if you want to buy Amsoil products, buy from one of the site sponsors (that would be me for Calif). We pay a fee like the other site sponsors here - and that fee helps run this huge successful site!

Yes you can buy direct from Amsoil - but without using 515729 I get no credit and you don't get your shipping cost 100% refunded - so there really isn't any point. Same product, same speedy delivery.

I am not sure if it's like Amway. But I'll tell you what I really like about Amsoil (and I do not sell their stuff). These guys are very efficient and well organized. Anytime I have ordered stuff from them,it is shipped quickly,on-time and with no screw ups. They have a great technical support system that answers all your questions and concerns. It seems to be a very well run organization.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
It relies on a network of individuals as you stated. It's a quality product. I would add though that with this style of marketing, which only costs $30 to become a dealer, their are many dealers that don't know what they are talking about. This leads to alot of false information about oil IMO.

Yes

I would rather trust the greater at Walmart, he sure knows a lot about oil
wink.gif
or the ratty
tathered application guide hanging in the oil isle.

Could you elaborate on dealers who dont know what they are talking about?? I would assume that you review their (AMsoil's) technical data sheets on their products, application guides etc. I cant see a customer being hood winked if they bother to look at the proper info for choice of lubricant/filter for their particular application. You could also visit Amsoils website or ask them for any info you need. You could make your general statement about any automotive business and the products they offer including oil, you will find some know what they are talking about, others do not. The majority of dealers I have met know what they are talking about and are honest people who tend to be car enthusiasts like myslef with some mechanical background.

Note I am not a dealer but have used Amsoil for about 20 years.

Amsoil is sold through some auto parts stores. They would typically be "speed shops" that also sell specialty fluids such as Red Line, Royal Purple, etc.

Amway actually carried a synthetic motor oil at one time. They even use to have an API EOLCS license, but I don't see them listed any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back