Is Amsoil A Good Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a great oil. 5w/10w-30 is their best buy IMO. S2k shows signs of greatness and signs of "overpriced" oil depending on the engine.

It is a good oil. Buster summed it up pretty well.

What I DON'T recommend, push, etc is just dumping in the 0W-30 in a car that been on other oils and driving an extended oil change interval (OCI).

I recommend a good cleaning first, so the oil doesn't do the cleaning and use itself up in 8000 miles or whatever.

What kind of car and mileage are you talking about?

I'll let the Amsoil afficianados give you the answer to your question, but did want to say...

welcome.gif

...from Spartan Country, eh?

[ September 21, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Amsoil has always been a stand out great oil in the past. The problem is that other oils have come out that are either just as good or have narrowed the gap. I think the real question is "Is Amsoil that much better then their competition now?". Amsoil has always blended and bottled a good product and I doubt that will change anytime soon!

quote:

Amsoil has always been a stand out great oil in the past. The problem is that other oils have come out that are either just as good or have narrowed the gap. I think the real question is "Is Amsoil that much better then their competition now?". Amsoil has always blended and bottled a good product and I doubt that will change anytime soon!

You hit the nail on the head. And in time I'm sure Amsoil will go one up on the competition as they seem to reformulate more often then the big oil companies. Plust they buy from so many vendors they have more to chose from I guess.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
What kind of car and mileage are you talking about?

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. It's got about 37K miles. I've been running Amsoil and Mobil1 0W-30. I've got Amsoil fluid in my diffs.

Are you an Amsoil dealer Pablo?

I just moved to Lansing from Atlanta. Isn't a lighter viscosity good in cold weather?

I just found this site and was curious if the good things I've heard about Amsoil were true.

Yes I am an Amsoil dealer. For sure, a lower xW is better in cold (OW or 5W for your area).

I recommend the 5W-30 for that engine. How many miles do you plan on using for your OCI?

Well, to find out how Amsoil is performing in your car, take a sample next drain and get a UOA (Used oil analysis)- $18.95 for a simple (yet complete) analysis, or find out about Terry Dyson for only a little more $ get a professional, unbiased interpretation.

I've been running 0W-30 for a while. I've used the Amsoil Series 2000 and Mobil1 0W-30 for the last several changes. I will probably go with the Amsoil again. I just have to order some.

I also tried the Amsoil Oil filter, but went back to Mobil1.

quote:

Originally posted by BTC:
I've been running 0W-30 for a while. I've used the Amsoil Series 2000 and Mobil1 0W-30 for the last several changes. I will probably go with the Amsoil again. I just have to order some.

I also tried the Amsoil Oil filter, but went back to Mobil1.

Even if you don't use Amsoil oil, you should at least switch back to their oil filters, as they are better than Mobil 1 when it comes to oil flow.

Hastings is a Baldwin company. The Amsoil filters carry a different media than that of the Hastings or Baldwin brand. Its proprietary to Amsoil, Baldwin or Hasting do not use it. Also many of the filters have an oil pressure relief valve as an added fail-safe and are constructed of more HD metal etc.

Amsoil also markets all of Hastings brand filters over and above what their line does not meet.

The filters may all be made in one plant line the way GM builds Chevy and GMC trucks on the same lines, bumper to bumper in Oshawa, Flint, Ft Wayne etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back