Is all Motorcraft oil a syntheic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, at least insofar as the 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 viscosity grades are concerned if we're discussing API "SM" formulations. Interestingly, so are the same viscosity grades of ConocoPhillips own brands - 76, Conoco All Season, Phillips TropArtic, and Kendall GT-1. (You s'pose your Ford stealership's parts department has some leftover "SL" 10W-30 on hand?)

"This oil has been thoroughly evaluated by Ford Motor Company and has performed flawlessly in all dynamometer and vehicle durability tests" From the link above. They also make a FULL SYNTHETIC 5w-20, 5w-30 oil. Pricey though @ $6.40qt through Ford. I'd like to see a VOA of this oil.

I would just like to see some Motorcraft full synthetic. It seems to be rare. I suspect that it is the same as Kendall full synthetic, which I have ocassionally seen.

Buster, re Havoline or MC. If you are talking about the 5w-20, close to a toss up. Havoline has the stronger add pack. But MC, seems to have a superior base oil. In fact, the pour point and the high VI of the MC, indicate it is probably close to 75% group III. I have been stocking up on the Motorcraft for my personal use.

I'm curious who makes the Motorcraft oil? I mean it has to be just some repackaging; right? I put some 5W-20 in my Girlfriends mother's Escape in exchange for a hair cut. Figured it was a fine oil for her application, and it was only $9.xx for a 5qt jug at O'Reilly's.

Conoco's oils are a group II/III blend, so yes they can be called "synthetic" Other dino oils may use group III but not call them synthetic. Havoline uses group II oils and a stronger add package to meet the specs, that does not make it inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.