Is a Wix engine air filter a suitable replacement for a 2018 Toyota Corolla OEM filter?

When briefly visiting Oregon after the forest fires this summer, I insisted on changing the air filter on my Mom's ~ 35k mile 2018 Toyota Corolla SE, because she had been driving through intense smoke, and her car wasn't scheduled for service for awhile. I bought the only Wix available at her local O'Reilly's to replace the very dirty OEM air filter. They look entirely different. The Wix was a more traditional panel type filter, where as the "sculpted" OEM filter looked more molded. Should I have her switch back to the OEM on her next service? The OEM looks similar to the Napa Gold FIL 9104 , whereas the Wix I bought is similar to this Napa ProSelect SFI 29104.

Just me but I'd get the Gold air filter... A lot better efficiency vs the other one. And in forest fire circumstances... That matters. Even from say 96 to 99.5 percent difference is HUGE actually. .

I see that the so called "molded" or frameless style of filter fits some Toyota and Lexus models now. Just bought a Fram 10171 for the Camry and it's all white, pleated and molded with no outer frame.

Just me but I'd get the Gold air filter... A lot better efficiency vs the other one. And in forest fire circumstances... That matters. Even from say 96 to 99.5 percent difference is HUGE actually. .
I would have too, if it had been available where I was at the time. I'm just curious if it's worth asking her to prematurely have it changed now.

I see that the so called "molded" or frameless style of filter fits some Toyota and Lexus models now. Just bought a Fram 10171 for the Camry and it's all white, pleated and molded with no outer frame.
Does anybody know what that style of construction is, and how it's made?

I believe that you'll be just fine.
NOW, is the WIX an optimal air filter for your engine? :-/
I just installed a standard FRAM Air Filter($10 closeout from WM) in the 2015 Civic in my signature.
It looks exactly like the OE Filtec in every way, shape & form. However, according to many publications testing procedures, the FRAM shouldn't even be considered. But to me, it's better than the dirty OE.

There is nothing wrong with Wix air filters, but Fram makes an Ultra air filter for your Corolla. Part number XG10190

Thanks for the all responses. That new (oem/gold) filter style is sure different from what I'm use to seeing.

Back