is 7.5k too long an oci for chevron supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil at 1200 miles in a new sonata. Im going to do a few short oci's (1,3,5) but after that if I like the oil I'm going to stick with it. Is 7,500 miles too far for this oil? Would 5,000 be a better oci? The schedual for this car is 7.5k normal, 3k severe.

There's a couple ~7500 mi UOAs for CS and it seems to handle that interval with no problem. Assuming that Sonata doesn't chew up oil, you should be fine.

Once it's good and broken in, if you're doing a fair bit of highway driving, especially in the cold, I think it would be alright. I'd do a UOA with TBN check though to make sure.

If you wanted to play it safe, 5,000 would be fine.

If you did nothing but highway driving, 7,500 would be easy.

maybe I will do a UOA from 5k to 10k that would be good to know. I 've never done one before but been wanting to on my element as well. How much are they? Maybe I'll just look at the blackstone page.

It will easily do it; don't listen to the naysayers here.

CS is a very high-quality oil that has shown itself numerous times to survive long intervals. Plus, Hyundai engines are very easy on oil.

That probably wouldn't be my first choice for a 7500 mile interval on anything, 5000 would be a little more realistic.

Doesn't Chevron make the MotorCraft blend? That might be better. Or any of the poor mans synthetics.

UOA would be 20 bucks. I'd probably run the full 7500 and mail it in. I'm sure I'll get torched for this, but you're not going to get wild sludge deposits and epic wear numbers from one OCI a few thousand too long... and on the plus side you'll know for sure if that OCI is right or too much.

With PP a dollar a quart at WalMart, which would easily do 7500, what's with the love for Chevron Supreme? Box fall off a truck?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
That probably wouldn't be my first choice for a 7500 mile interval on anything, 5000 would be a little more realistic.

CS seems to hold its TBN pretty well for a conventional. There have been a few 7500 mile UOAs that have looked good with TBN left.

Quote:
Doesn't Chevron make the MotorCraft blend? That might be better. Or any of the poor mans synthetics.

No they do not, Conoco does.

Quote:
With PP a dollar a quart at WalMart, which would easily do 7500, what's with the love for Chevron Supreme? Box fall off a truck?

PP is only a dollar a quart for another couple weeks, then it's back to ~$5 a quart.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
what's with the love for Chevron Supreme? Box fall off a truck?

1. I have faith in chevron as a company
2. I can get it easy and cheap at costco
3. I have heard good things about it
4. I like the viscosity #s of it. I would describe it as a 5w25
5. I like their bottle! lol
If I was going to use a synthetic I would check out castrol edge just because it has similar cst #s.

Ryland, you might be pushing it to ask a dino oil to go 7500 miles. Blended oils will usually go that long, as will full syn oils, of course.

I'm thinking 5k would be a more realistic goal with this Chevron oil.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Ryland, you might be pushing it to ask a dino oil to go 7500 miles. Blended oils will usually go that long, as will full syn oils, of course.

I'm thinking 5k would be a more realistic goal with this Chevron oil.

Your probably right. I think I will do a 5k run and do a UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back