Is $6.93 too much for 1Liter of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some other threads and most (if not all) consider this oil to be an average Group III lube, so is it worth the $6.93 the store is charging?

Should I stick with the Rotella T 5w40?

Unlike Rotella T Syn, which is (or at least was*) made from a blend of XHVI and Group I, the Helix Ultra 5w40 is a blend of XHVI, PAO, and esters.

*The newest MSDS for Rotella T Syn lists the base oil blend as a "mixture" whereas it used to list the actual CAS #s for XHVI and Group I. This could mean that Shell has gone to conventional Group III instead of XHVI.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
This oil is virtually impossible to find in the U.S. Where did you locate it?

You can get it at any authorized Ferrari dealer, where you can also get the $60/qt Helix Ultra 10w60.
grin.gif

Still the worst syn we have ever tested on our Timken and that's saying something. Shell tech here even admitted Pennzoil has better additive package (Pennzoil use same base stock as Shell). My business partner Ron in Melbourne uses it in demo's as how bad a syn can be. You can buy better far cheaper IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

You can get it at any authorized Ferrari dealer, where you can also get the $60/qt Helix Ultra 10w60.
grin.gif

I know!!! I should have said that it is virtually impossible to find in the U.S. at a reasonable price.

Does the Timken really prove anything though? Isn't that similar to the 4 ball wear test? I wish we had access to Shell Helix. Johnny from Pennzoil said they might be bringing out new high end synthetics some time later this year.
cool.gif

[ July 26, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

quote:

grin.gif

We should convince 3MP to give this stuff a try in his Camaro for the long life study!
smile.gif

seotaji,

I wouldn't buy it. I think you can do MUCH better. At a slightly cheaper cost per quart, Amsoil Euro Formula 5W40, or at a much cheaper cost, Pennzoil Euro Formula 5W40. Now if you were looking for a 0W30 that is GREEN in color....
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

quote:

grin.gif

We should convince 3MP to give this stuff a try in his Camaro for the long life study!
smile.gif

And so, Pat, how long an OCI would be required to make it even slightly cost-effective?
grin.gif

Where did you find Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for $6.93 a liter? I ordered some from a Ferrari dealer in Ohio for testing purposes, and it cost me $20.74 per liter. Seems to be a pretty decent oil, but no oil is worth $20.74
mad.gif

quote:

Where did you find Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for $6.93 a liter?

as far as I can tell, that's the average price overseas.

they also stock some petro canada duron oil, which people use b/c it's cheaper than delvac 1.

It's available in the USA for 880.00 per 55 gallon drum whatever that makes it per quart ?

I'd say no to 6.93 a quart and buy the very light Castrol 5w-40 Superbike Oil instead for 99.00 per case of 12 - free shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back