Is 5W-30 in a 5W-20 engine O.K.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All! Glad to be here!
08.gif

My manual and oil filler cap states use 5W-20 or 0W-20, the manual states to change it every 8000kms or 3mos, whichever comes first. For those who dont know a Vibe is basically a Matrix and so is not equipped with an Engine Oil Life System like on other GM vehicles.

I recently brought my car into a GM dealership for the service/inspection required by warranty and found out later that 5W-30 was used, The car currently has 7000kms on it and will take it in for another oil changeout in 3mos.

Actually there is a little cause to be concerned. If you do use 20wt oil I would carefully monitor the oil levels. There is a TSB out regarding that engine and oil consumption. If it is consuming oil with the 20 wt you have two options:

1) take it into the dealer and have them flash the ECU which de-tunes your VVT-i system
crazy2.gif
or,
2) switch to 5w-30 and keep all your power, suffer zero fuel economy loss over the 20wt, and enjoy a quieter engine.

For me the choice was easy.
cool.gif
PM me for further details.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
use the 30 - this is a CAFE back spec for this 1.8L. Mine hates 20wt.

ARCOg, would you mind posting your CAFE spec source please & thank-you? My '09 engine is the 2ZR-FE 1.8L and is different than the '08 models 1ZZ-FE 1.8L and also new is the 20wt specification.

Is your Yaris 1.5L 1NZ-FE 20wt spec?

No reason to disregard Toyota's recommendation. @ -40C you might want a synthetic 20 weight in there anyway. I 'm curious about that TSB however.

1NZ-FE runs fine on 20 weight oil, IMHO.

Last edited:
Mine showed zero decrease in mpg's on highway and in city, it actually increased as normal break-in occured. My average is 38.54mpg US(6.15L/100km), max is 46.29mpgUS (5.08L/100km), which is much higher than EPA even dreams about.

North America is the only one with the TSB...coincidently the only one with a 20wt listed as the only choice in the manual. Other countries in the world haven't even heard about it, they are spec'd to run 30, 40 and even 50 wts in their worldwide manual.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Mine showed zero decrease in mpg's on highway and in city, it actually increased as normal break-in occured. My average is 38.54mpg US(6.15L/100km), max is 46.29mpgUS (5.08L/100km), which is much higher than EPA even dreams about.

North America is the only one with the TSB...coincidently the only one with a 20wt listed as the only choice in the manual. Other countries in the world haven't even heard about it, they are spec'd to run 30, 40 and even 50 wts in their worldwide manual.

good replies, how much effort does it take to get that kind of mileage smoke?

Not much...
1) Cruise control set at 55mph or 90km/hr, although I still beat EPA doing 75mph or 120km/h on a recent road trip...
2) Traffic light anticipation,
3) Drive it moderately, ie: don't speed up too fast or slow down too fast. Touch the brakes as little as possible within reason, let the engine fuel cut slow you down,
4) Drive with load or let the hills take some of your speed, have a target like 6 or 7L/100km and let the instantaneous readout modulate foot pressure...
That's about it....I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 at 7500km intervals with OEM Toyota filter cartridge. I have 37,000km on odo

I admitadly prefer 20wts when sp;ecfied. However I have a stash of 5w30 and 10w30 that is destined for my jeeps engine. It was cheap and it will do fine. IMO as long as an oil is ILSAC energy conserving the difference in grades is minimal. My wifes explorerewith the 4.6 v8 I will probably stick with synthetic 5w20's. but it will be going longer and I don't crave to swap the engine out with a hemi :)

Originally Posted By: zoomie
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
use the 30 - this is a CAFE back spec for this 1.8L. Mine hates 20wt.

ARCOg, would you mind posting your CAFE spec source please & thank-you? My '09 engine is the 2ZR-FE 1.8L and is different than the '08 models 1ZZ-FE 1.8L and also new is the 20wt specification.

Is your Yaris 1.5L 1NZ-FE 20wt spec?
May yaris is 5w-30 and HEAVIER. It usually need a little 1/2 qt M4T in there for high speed highway. But I drive 75-85 typ on my 1 hour commute. AFA CAFE goes, only N.A. use the 20wt AFAIK. We just lost our rav4 engine to the Toyota service centre putting 20wt in and I'm [censored]! WAS a wonderfull engine. only 50K miles. Read that TSB carefully, it doe NOT say you can back spec the oil weight on older models - you HAVE to use the 5w-30 as the lightest grade if that is what is on the CAP and manual. Period. I would be leery on your 09. Lost a new KIA to 20wt back specing and our new Subaru has a rod knock, day-1 on 20wt. SO MY junkyard is littered with 20wt casulties, Now ford hond thats a diff story. They know how to build a 20wt engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back