Is 5w-30 any good for my 1.6JTD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I have spent a lot of time in Dalmacija, and never had a feeling my eyes will boil over and then jump out. I did spend a lot of time n Las Vegas, and that is feeling you have in mid July. Yet, my father in law runs 5W20 oil in Honda Pilot.

Yeah, but it's a dry heat, lol!

LOL. I lived in Alabama, and that is argument people would use about desert heat: Yeah, but it is dry heat. Yeah, but your eyes still want to boil.

Originally Posted by chrisri
Originally Posted by Antony013
Thanks man, for all the info... I'm definitely aiming for Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40, it's even on sale now in a local store (5l ~ 40e).
I will order it now and that filter i mentioned before...
cheers3.gif

Hi,
Your engines clutter noise when cold is probably just a normal diesel noise when cold. I had 2.0 mjet Bravo years back - very similar engine, just different stroke IIRC, and now have 1.9 16v mjet and 1.9 8v mjet. Both are noisy when cold, especially the 8 valve. It is normal. PSA are more refined, VW, for example is not - speaking of contemporary engines.
With mjet 2 engines FIAT/AR modified valve train - roller type now and thus requires low HT-HS oils. That would be C2 oils. However, personally, you can't go wrong with high HT-HS C3 oils. Really any would do- FIAT spec is not required as only few had it. An C3 with BMW LL4 or MB 229.51 will do great. Dexos 2 is alternative too, that was/is what Opel used in these engines.
Motul x clean is priced well and is good oil, Mobil ESP too, but expensive here. MANN and Mahle are first class filters, avoid UFI.

Well maybe it is, maybe not... I know a few people with the same car/engine and theirs is quieter, not a whole lot but it is noticeable.. Ofcourse it could be atributed to something else than the engine itself... French engines are for sure more refined, for example - my colegue's Megane 1.5dci 110ps is really quiet and runs smoother when compared to my engine, but it doesn't pull as well as mine does, so i take comfort in that
laugh.gif
... Nvm that, function is more important to me than noise atm...

Originally Posted by edyvw
So in Dalmacija you do have hot summers, comparatively speaking to the rest of Europe. Is it that hot? No. I have spent a lot of time in Dalmacija, and never had a feeling my eyes will boil over and then jump out. I did spend a lot of time n Las Vegas, and that is feeling you have in mid July. Yet, my father in law runs 5W20 oil in Honda Pilot.
Castrol FST 0W30 is really, really good choice, and I would be running that if we had it available in the US, but we do not.
As for clatter, I would say it is normal FIAT thing. I owned Lancia Lybra 2.4 JTD, and holy moly did it have clatter. But it made more than 500k. Also, BMW engines will be smoother, so do not compare it.

Well, yeah - the summers are hot IMO. Maybe not hot like boiling hot, but when you have 35-39°C (95-102 °F) in shade - i consider that hot. Ofcourse, you can't compare the mediteranean climate with a desert one where there are far less or no cold winds from the sea etc... I am far from being an expert on climate but i hope you get what i'm trying to say
smile.gif

Last edited:
Well, yeah - the summers are hot IMO. Maybe not hot like boiling hot, but when you have 35-39°C (95-102 °F) in shade - i consider that hot. Ofcourse, you can't compare the mediteranean climate with a desert one where there are far less or no cold winds from the sea etc... I am far from being an expert on climate but i hope you get what i'm trying to say
smile.gif

Also, take into consideration that thicker you go, harder to cool off. There is that saying "thick as necessary, thin as possible."
I know what you saying, but my point is that oil you got, or you had in engine before, will deal with those temperatures, or much higher, with ease.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
You may be surprised to find that is now one of Castrols only Group 4 PAO oils.

Yep and 10W60, that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back