Is 5W-20 appropriate for wintertime use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to rekindle the flames about 5W-thin. I just wonder if there is a middle ground.

What's you take about using this oil when the weather is cold, and switching to W30 for the summer? Or do you believe that it will prove to be inadequate even when an engine is well-cooled?

I don't think anyone should use a 5w-20 unless the car calls for it. And even then I wouldn't use it. My wife's Focus calls for a 5w-20 but I put a 5w-30 Mobil 1 in it that will outperform the factory fill. This 20wt. stuff is all about gas mileage and emissions. 0w/5w-30 for winter and 10w-30 summer.

[ January 06, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

5W-20 is appropriate for winter use in the Fords and Hondas that call for 5W-20.

The xW- number is the cold viscosity. The -x viscosity is the hot viscosity. Your engine will get up to normal operating temperature eventually in the winter, and you'll need normal viscosity oil.

So...depending on the needs of your engine and your climate, use 0W-, or 5W-, or 10W-, or 15W- oil in the winter, and what ever hot viscosity you think best and your engine needs...usually xW-30 for most of us.

Ken

[ January 06, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
I don't want to rekindle the flames about 5W-thin. I just wonder if there is a middle ground.

What's you take about using this oil when the weather is cold, and switching to W30 for the summer? Or do you believe that it will prove to be inadequate even when an engine is well-cooled?

I don't see why winter and summer have anything to do with it. Once warmed up, a 20 wt. is a 20 wt. regardless of season. I belive the "too thin" argument still applies.

If you have a car that sees very short trips, but doesn't normally run 5w20, I think this oil would be very beneficial. Think about it, if your car is driven on such short trips that it doesn't fully warm up for long, this thinner oil would end up protecting better since the thicker oil may end up staying at a thicker viscosity for too much longer.

So the 5w20 would be the better choice for winter.

If you do long trips in the winter and are worried about that thinner hot viscosity that's another story.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
How cold does it get in *** where you show to live at? I have never been there,just curious .

Hehe, maybe those *** are to signify snow flurries!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back